Follow up: Have you been victim of this scam or know someone who has?

  • mpd5d_coordinator
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2006
      "Broken Key Guy"

      March 21, 2006

      If you or anyone you know have been victim of this scam Lt. Dean
      Welch of the 5th District would like to hear from you:

      Lt. Welch can be reached on 202 698-0268 or you may e-mail him
      dean.welch@...

      Tips for reporting:

      If you are a victim of this scam or know someone who has been
      victimized with this scam you should immediately report the crime to
      Lt. Dean Welch on (202) 698-0268 at the 5th District Station. Don't
      be embarrassed. This con guy has taken in some very astute people.

      Be aware: if the "broken key guy" comes to your door, and you do not
      feel threaten, keep your gate or door locked, ask the guy to wait,
      call 911 Report a "Crime/Scam in Progress". If he has already left,
      odds are he may still be on your block call 311 report "scam guy just
      left my house".

      Note characteristics

      As a victim of this or any crime take note of the person's
      characteristics, such as his/her clothing, height, weight, color of
      hair and eyes, and other identifying items such as scars and body
      shape so that law enforcement agencies can build as strong a case as
      possible.

      Remember a five-minute delay in reporting a crime reduces the chance
      of catching the criminal by 65 per cent.

      Other Crime Prevention Information: You may meet and talk with your
      assigned Lt. at your monthly scheduled neighborhood PSA Community
      Meetings. For meeting information
      Visit the Fifth District on line at www.mpdc.dc.gov or
      http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239,q,545954.asp.

      You may also contact the Fifth District's Community Outreach
      Coordinator Fayette Vaughn-Lee for meeting schedules on (202) 698-
      0188 or e-mail her at fayette.vaughn-lee@...

      Patrol Service Area 501
      Lt. Ronald Wright-ronald.wright@...
      Lt. Dean Welch– dean.welch@...

      Patrol Service Area 502
      Lt. Gregory Stroud- gregory.stroud@...

      Patrol Service Area 503
      Lt. Corinne Hughes- corinne.Hughes@...

      Patrol Service Area 504
      Lt. Judith Anderson- judith.Anderson@...

      Patrol Service Area 505
      Lt. Anthony Medoro- anthony.medoro@...

      5D Community Outreach Coordinator
      Fayette Vaughn-Lee- fayette.vaughn-lee@...
    • David Gaines
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2006
        Hey all,
        I just recently moved to 5D and just joined this list-serv. Though
        I have not encountered BKG, I know the antics. In Atlanta, there
        was always someone in need of a few dollars for gas money so he can
        continue his travels to Florida or something like that.

        Anyway, I have a few ideas:

        1. When he asks for money, say, "Oh poor baby! But guess what?
        You're in luck. My bestest friend in the world is a locksmith and
        will get you in your home for free. Let me call him," and dial
        911. I'm sure he'll be gone by time you come back to the door,
        considering, his key isn't broke.

        2. So maybe you can offer him the money and just to be sure he's
        not pulling a scam, offer him a ride to his place and speed like
        hell to the closest police station. Ok, maybe not; tht's kidnapping.

        3. Pretend like you're calling the locksmith for him with your
        camera phone and snap his photo. It may not be an Olan Mills photo,
        but we'll start posting his picture everywhere.

        4. Perhaps my ideas are bit extreme, but let's think outside the
        box. I really think the next person simply needs to say something
        like, "Oh I know you. We talked about you at the last police
        meeting. They're looking for you. Can I get your name?" Let him
        know he's not fooling anyone and the heat is just around the corner.

        ***

        I would like to say I'm impressed with the response from the MPD
        from some of the posts in this user forum. The number one method of
        lifting spirits, be it at work, in the family, relationships of any
        kind, etc. is to provide honest, direct and immediate feedback.
        Studies show when no feedback is given, the majority of the time the
        person looking for feedback will make up his or her own feedback and
        it's almost all the time negative. Go to the doctor, have some
        tests done and not get the results from the doctors in months. You
        will have already signed your will.

        So I reiterate the appreciation for the feedback from MPD on this
        Yahoo! Usergroup. I look forward to reading more positive posts and
        hope BKG finally makes it home - the slammer!

        David Gaines