Drug Dealing on First Street NW

  • Mike In DC
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 20, 2006
      All,

      Like many of you, I observe almost daily drug deals
      going down along First Street NW, between Florida and
      NY Avenues. This criminal activity occurs in plain
      sight, at all hours of the day and night.

      My question: if we residents can see this happening,
      why can the MPD not conduct surveillance and make
      arrests? Is the city so un-manageable, so out of
      control that the police are simply not able to
      apprehend routine drug dealers? Many of whom are
      teenagers.

      New York City was once considered un-manageable, too.
      Aggressive, relentless enforcement of all laws -- even
      the "minor" ones -- by the NYPD finally sent the
      message that NYC would no longer be a land of
      lawlessness.

      It can be done. Why are we not doing it here? Is the
      nation's capitol so much more challenging? Or do we
      need better leadership from a new police chief?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • tvehunt
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
        I totally agree with you Mike, Right now as we speak it seems that
        the drug dealers are back out in full force again on O Street
        between First and North Capital Street NW from morning and through
        out the night especially now that spring has arrived. Let us have
        the MPD continue to be present in the neighborhood whether they be
        undercover or not. Considering that the neighborhood is developing
        to change with the ATF, New York Ave Metro station, (SEC) Security
        Exchange Commission (if I am not mistaking) and etc. it is time for
        the B.S. to finnally stop DC officials, starting with the Mayor.

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Mike In DC <mikeinthecapitol@...>
        wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > Like many of you, I observe almost daily drug deals
        > going down along First Street NW, between Florida and
        > NY Avenues. This criminal activity occurs in plain
        > sight, at all hours of the day and night.
        >
        > My question: if we residents can see this happening,
        > why can the MPD not conduct surveillance and make
        > arrests? Is the city so un-manageable, so out of
        > control that the police are simply not able to
        > apprehend routine drug dealers? Many of whom are
        > teenagers.
        >
        > New York City was once considered un-manageable, too.
        > Aggressive, relentless enforcement of all laws -- even
        > the "minor" ones -- by the NYPD finally sent the
        > message that NYC would no longer be a land of
        > lawlessness.
        >
        > It can be done. Why are we not doing it here? Is the
        > nation's capitol so much more challenging? Or do we
        > need better leadership from a new police chief?

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Shotokan8
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2006
          FYI, one of the stash locations of one the drug dealers is located
          under the bushes in front of 1411 1st St NW.

          During the day, while the dealing is in full effect, he goes back and
          forth from under the bushes (the right most one) in front of the
          CLOSED OFF HOUSE and handing it off to 'patrons' who in retun hand him
          what looks like $10-20 (i think).

          Is that enough detail to actually catch someone?
        • Craig, Donald (MPD)
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2006
            Okay. I'm going to answer a few things in this e-mail.

            First I'll let you know about Saturday night. It was a domestic situation that escalated with friends of the persons involved taking sides and it escalated into two different incidents where arrests were made. There weren't any injuries to any citizens or officers but it took us a while to break up the crowds the two times we had to go out.

            Second as far as the drug dealing on first street goes. I will pass the information along the to day and evening tours so that the foot beat officers can hang in the area a little more. Any information like where they stash drugs is so helpful. If we can get their stash we disrupt their business. Also I have placed a request in to have a drug free zone in the area for April. Further a request will be made to have redeployment and or power shift units to conduct some traffic safety check points in the area.

            I would like to close by saying that we are open 24 horus a day but we can't be everywhere all the time. The citizens must be our eyes and ears. Without you it is very very difficult to even make a dent in criminal activity. The help about where the drugs are stashed is key information to help us in disrupting and even stopping the dealing in the area. Also don't be afraid to call 311 when they are hanging around. We must answer each call that comes in so if you call and it gets to us we must come out. Be very specific with information when you call. Descriptions and locations for the stash. The more information we get the easier it is to shut them down.

            I hope this helps. If you have any infomration or additional questions you can e-mail me at Donald.Craig@....

            Lt. Craig

            ________________________________

            FYI, one of the stash locations of one the drug dealers is located
            under the bushes in front of 1411 1st St NW.

            During the day, while the dealing is in full effect, he goes back and
            forth from under the bushes (the right most one) in front of the
            CLOSED OFF HOUSE and handing it off to 'patrons' who in retun hand him
            what looks like $10-20 (i think).

            Is that enough detail to actually catch someone?

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Paul Meyers
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
              1401, 1405, 1409, 1411 and 1417 are all locations where they hide their stash.  I do believe the ploice have forgotten about us here on First Street.  Just let everyone know that if you want drugs, go to the 1400 block of First Street, NW.  The police don't monitor and the dealers are ALWAYS present.

              Shotokan8 <Shotokan8@...> wrote:
              FYI, one of the stash locations of one the drug dealers is located
              under the bushes in front of 1411 1st St NW.

              During the day, while the dealing is in full effect, he goes back and
              forth from under the bushes (the right most one) in front of the
              CLOSED OFF HOUSE and handing it off to 'patrons' who in retun hand him
              what looks like $10-20 (i think).

              Is that enough detail to actually catch someone?

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Craig, Donald (MPD)
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8, 2006
                Last night around midnight Officers Glenn and Heraud made an arrest for Possession with the Intent to Distribute Cocaine in the 1500 block of First Street N.W. They seized drugs money and a vehicle. The case will be presented to the US Attorney's Office on Monday.

                I will keep you posted on any additional activity in the area.

                Lt. Craig

                ________________________________
              • Tobias Kienle
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 9, 2006
                  Thanks for the information, & the great work you guys
                  are doing! There's been alot of encouraging news
                  lately that real progress is being made.

                  Toby

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006

                    Great job!

                    Last night around midnight Officers Glenn and Heraud made an arrest for Possession with the Intent to Distribute Cocaine in the 1500 block of First Street N.W.   They seized drugs money and a vehicle.  The case will be presented to the US Attorney's Office on Monday.

                    I will keep you posted on any additional activity in the area.

                    Lt. Craig

                    Policing for Prevention
                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • MJ
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 15, 2006
                      You can also purchase drugs on lincoln rd (between North Capitol and
                      Rhode Island) right next to a community center, Emery homeless
                      shelter, and Emery elementary school and Mckinley Tech highschool
                      during the day and night. Its been picking up during the warmer
                      weather and especially at night.

                      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Paul Meyers <pdmlar@...> wrote:

                      > 1401, 1405, 1409, 1411 and 1417 are all locations where they hide
                      their stash. >
                      > Shotokan8 <Shotokan8@...> wrote: FYI, one of the stash locations
                      of one the drug dealers is located
                      > under the bushes in front of 1411 1st St NW.
                      >
                      > During the day, while the dealing is in full effect, he goes back
                      and
                      > forth from under the bushes (the right most one) in front of the
                      > CLOSED OFF HOUSE and handing it off to 'patrons' who in retun hand
                      him
                      > what looks like $10-20 (i think).
                      >
                      > Is that enough detail to actually catch someone?

                      Service.