"Broken Key Guy" discussed by Chief Ramsey at Saturday's Ward 5 Annual Constituent Services Summit.

  • sara kaufman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2006
      For folks in and around PSA 501 who have seen or heard about the "Broken Key Guy"  or "The Contractor Guy".

      Summary for skimmers:

      1) The police are aware of the scam artist[s], and would like to catch the guy[s].
      2) The police have briefed this issue to the head of the 311/911 dispatchers.
      3) If the guy is at your door - call 911and report "scam in PROGRESS"
      4) If you have given him money - call 5D to file a report, so a warrant can be issued.   [call 311 or MPD Operations at 698-0150 ]

      I attended the early sessions of the Ward 5 Constituent Services Summit.   As advertised in many listservs,  MPD Chief Charles Ramsey was present to open the Summit.  His first item mentioned with regards to Ward 5 crime and public safety was about  the "Broken Key Guy".   He used the exact phrase as community emails and discussions, [personal observation] so it appears that the police DO take notice on our complaints.

      The Chief did indicate this is a relatively new type of scam and that we should always be vigilant for ANY type of scam AND that scam sshould be reported like any other crime.   [personal observation #2  - perhaps because this is a new type of scam - that is the reason for the dispatchers at 311 being less-than-helpful with some calls.]

      I was able to ask the Chief  about the problem some neighbors have reported  with the unresponsiveness of 311:

      1) The Chief  indicated they were very interested in catching this guy or any scam artist.
      2) The Chief advised  that 311 / 911 dispatch is not the MPD .  They are their own department.  [communication dept I believe]
      3) He advised that he has briefed the head of the dispatch/communications dept of this scam - and that it is to be taken seriously.

      Chief Ramsey  advised if the guy was at your door,   to call 911 to report a "Crime in Progress".
       [my best guess for additional details - tell the dispatcher its a *wanted* scam artist - may be helpful to mention Broken Key Guy,  OR Contractor Guy if he's still out there]

      IF you're comfortable and do not feel threatened - tell the guy your you'll be right there/back - hopefully to keep him at the door - then call 911.
      If  he's already gone or you want to report more information - call 311,  or call the Operations desk at 698-0150.
      IF you talk to him or can see him clearly - try to get a good description - physical characteristics that will not change,  in addition to what he is wearing.

      Chief Ramsey stated that they would like someone that has given money to file a report,
      [If I understood correctly] then a warrant can be issued and so they can get a description.

      If your neighborhood is collecting information,  continue or resume calling 311 or 911.  The dispatch response should be better since the police have alerted them to this issue.

      As for any crime:  If its a crime  "In Progress"  OR you fell threatened -  call 911.
      If its after the fact  or you have additional information to report - call 311.   If you're not sure - call 911.
      Always try to have the correct address and as many details as you can.
      311 and 911 track statistics,  so call them  in addition to any "local phone chain".