Taft Recreation Center

  • hunterw4
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10 12:01 PM
      Hello,

      I just wanted to report some ongoing activity at Taft Recreation
      Center (Otis and Perry Sts, NE, between 18th and South Dakota, NE).
      There are a lot of problems related to drug dealers coming into the
      neighborhood and hanging out at this park. I believe a house on
      Otis St. coordinates a lot of the activity. Throughout EVERY day,
      there are at the very least 2 people hanging out, and as many as
      20. Cars pull up, an exchange is made, and the car drives off.
      These kids also abuse drugs and alcohol in the park. They block up
      traffic with their exchanges, and intimidate the neighborhood.

      My biggest concern are the kids in the neighborhood. Many ages of
      kids come to this park for recreation. This ranges from toddlers
      using the playground to the Elementary school kids right across the
      street and teenagers using the basketball courts. I've see these
      dealers come into the park, target these kids, and the next thing
      you know there is a circle of 20 kids surrounding the drug dealers.
      It's awful to watch these kids get sucked into drugs. It is also
      very disturbing as the problem kids oftentimes drink in the park.
      The just throw their liquor/beer bottles wherever they want,
      breaking them. The playground area, sidewalk areas, etc...are
      covered with broken glass/cans...I've heard neighbors complain about
      their children falling in the playground area and coming within
      inches of broken liqour bottles.

      I think it is a travesty that our young children have to put up with
      the drug dealers being present, using drugs, drinking, cursing,
      etc...They also have to put up with the offers of drugs, and avoid
      falling on broken glass. Just disgusting...

      I try to call the police anytime I see this activity going on. The
      response time is always good, however, it appears the cops can only
      run these kids off. They are back within the hour, and the routine
      continues day in and day out. I'm am assuming that these kids can't
      be arrested on spot b/c there must be strong evidence? Are there
      not laws against loitering in our parks after night fall? Or
      drinking alcohol out in public? You would think just being in a
      park after nightfall, in dark clothing would be grounds for some
      quesitoning...I can't believe these kids are allowed to drive into
      our neighborhoods and run them into the ground.

      Please let me know what more I can be doing to end all of this
      behavior.

      Bill
      18th and Otis...
    • julian.masd
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10 3:39 PM
        Bill,

        I drove by Taft awhile ago and I noticed there aren't the groups of
        organized sports teams, and joggers that there were a year ago.
        (Have all the sports shifted to the new Turket Thicket Recreation
        Center?) One group, the Woodridge Warriors, managed by Rudy Knott,
        the ANC 5A-10 SMD commissioner which includes Taft, used to play
        there regularly, even in the dark. Have you talked to him about this
        problem? Last year I attended one of his SMD meetings and people
        were complaining about kids who live on Otis and the trash problem
        they make. Someone suggested calling the police about it. But the
        residents were also concerned about the number of cars from the
        sports activities taking up parking spaces on Otis.

        I used to live near a park where drugs and prostitution were a
        constant concern. We formed an Orange Hat group which helped a lot
        at night. During the day we would have some seniors conduct
        activities including Tai-Chi outdoors so that the dealers wouldn't
        cluster. You might talk to the schools at Taft (I think there are
        two charters schools occupying the building) about what they can do
        to help with the problem. Also, Taft does have a recreation center.
        See what they can do to bring back the sports participants.

        Julian near S. Dakota

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "hunterw4" <hunterw4@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I just wanted to report some ongoing activity at Taft Recreation
        > Center (Otis and Perry Sts, NE, between 18th and South Dakota,
        NE).
        > There are a lot of problems related to drug dealers coming into
        the
        > neighborhood and hanging out at this park. I believe a house on
        > Otis St. coordinates a lot of the activity. Throughout EVERY day,
        > there are at the very least 2 people hanging out, and as many as
        > 20. Cars pull up, an exchange is made, and the car drives off.
        > These kids also abuse drugs and alcohol in the park. They block
        up
        > traffic with their exchanges, and intimidate the neighborhood.
        >
        > My biggest concern are the kids in the neighborhood. Many ages of
        > kids come to this park for recreation. This ranges from toddlers
        > using the playground to the Elementary school kids right across
        the
        > street and teenagers using the basketball courts. I've see these
        > dealers come into the park, target these kids, and the next thing
        > you know there is a circle of 20 kids surrounding the drug
        dealers.
        > It's awful to watch these kids get sucked into drugs. It is also
        > very disturbing as the problem kids oftentimes drink in the park.
        > The just throw their liquor/beer bottles wherever they want,
        > breaking them. The playground area, sidewalk areas, etc...are
        > covered with broken glass/cans...I've heard neighbors complain
        about
        > their children falling in the playground area and coming within
        > inches of broken liqour bottles.
        >
        > I think it is a travesty that our young children have to put up
        with
        > the drug dealers being present, using drugs, drinking, cursing,
        > etc...They also have to put up with the offers of drugs, and avoid
        > falling on broken glass. Just disgusting...
        >
        > I try to call the police anytime I see this activity going on.
        The
        > response time is always good, however, it appears the cops can
        only
        > run these kids off. They are back within the hour, and the
        routine
        > continues day in and day out. I'm am assuming that these kids
        can't
        > be arrested on spot b/c there must be strong evidence? Are there
        > not laws against loitering in our parks after night fall? Or
        > drinking alcohol out in public? You would think just being in a
        > park after nightfall, in dark clothing would be grounds for some
        > quesitoning...I can't believe these kids are allowed to drive into
        > our neighborhoods and run them into the ground.
        >
        > Please let me know what more I can be doing to end all of this
        > behavior.
        >
        > Bill
        > 18th and Otis...

      • Caro Alcuaz
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11 1:41 PM
          He came on Today, Saturday MArch 11 around 4:15 PM

          Description Dark Black Male, Shaved Head, Overweight, 40+, black shirt and pants with a brown cigar/cigarette.

          Said that they wouldn't take a check, needed 18 dollars which was in his house.

          Yahoo! Mail