RE: 6D Seizure of Illegal Fireworks

  • Groomes, Diane (MPD)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2011

      Great job to the Firework TEAMS that have been put in place in each District for the past two weeks and thanks to the Fire Department for partnering with us

      Below is a great example of what has been going on for we have received vast calls for fireworks and inquiries on what is being done….

      MPD and the DC Fire Department have been inspecting all stands for the past two weeks …. We found that they are compliant except for last week the 4th District did seize over 400 pieces of illegal fireworks in the 5200 blk of Illinois Avenue , all were confiscated and subject was fined….

      We also have a team of officers in each district assigned to handle the firework calls and the objective is to confiscate illegal fireworks and cite those who possess such …

      Last week the Fourth District also found over 500 pieces inside of a vacant property inside the 6400 blk of Blair Rd and the 7th District confiscated hundreds of illegal fireworks in the 2300 blk of MLK …

      We will continue our plan of action till July 6th and HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY  TO ALL !!

      Good morning community!!!

      I just wanted to advise you of a significant illegal fireworks seizure made by officers assigned to the Sixth District.  On Sunday, July 3rd,  officers were patrolling looking for illegal use of fireworks when they came upon an individual in the 800 block of 48th St NE.   The officers observed this individual igniting illegal fireworks in the street.  The officers then observed the individual walk towards a medium sized truck.  As Officers approached the vehicle they saw in plain sight a number of illegal fireworks inside the vehicle.  The individual was cited for the use and possession of illegal fireworks.  A total of 862 illegal fireworks were seized from this vehicle.

      Subsequent to this seizure, the officers responded to 2900 Block of Martin Luther King Avenue SE and located a U Haul Van, which they believed was involved in the sale of illegal fireworks.  Further investigation revealed a large number of illegal fireworks inside the van.  The Sixth District Officers were assisted by Officers from the Seventh District and DCFD Fire Investigations Branch.  A total of 1,848 illegal fireworks were seized from this location.

      A total of 2,710 illegal fireworks were seized yesterday, which has a street value of approximately $10,000 dollars.

      Great work done in the community!!!!

      “One City Summer Fun … Something for Everyone”
      Mayor Gray’s comprehensive summer program with fun activities, events and services for residents of all ages
      For more information visit
      www.onecitysummer.dc.gov  or call 311

    • Keith Jarrell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2011
        Great work.  It is clear that these efforts will serve the community this July 4th.
        Keith

        --

        Keep a green tree alive in your heart and a songbird may come to sing there.

        Chinese Proverb

        Keith Jarrell