Independence Day

  • Robert Vinson Brannum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2011

      Greetings and salutations,

      On July 4, 1776, a new nation was formed.

      Every 4th of July, America celebrates its independence from British rule and its evolving sovereignty as a republic dedicated to principles of justice, freedom, and a representative form of democracy in which the people govern.

      Since the founding of this great nation, through a civil war, world wars, conflicts, 9/11, the indignity of slavery, segregation, and the inequality of denying all Americans the right to vote; there have been many America Independence Day speeches to remind us of the value of freedom.

      The United States Constitution and its Bill of Rights have been used by people around the world to defend justice, to form new nations, and to create political and social doctrines founded on independence.  We should all be proud of America’s fundamental democratic ideas.  Yet, as District of Columbia residents we should continue to fight for the principle of full democracy for the residents of the District of Columbia.

      Also, as Americans, each of us should always pause and remember our young men and women in uniform serving around the world to defend American values of justice, freedom, and democracy.  We should never forget to thank them for their service.

      On July 4, 2011, America celebrates another national birthday with parades, barbeques, patriotic concerts, and fireworks. One important thing all of us should remember to honor are the sacrifices and memories of those not here to share this day with us.

      On behalf of the member civic associations and delegates of the D.C. Federation of Civic Associations, Happy Birthday America and Best Wishes to our fellow Americans.

      Robert Vinson Brannum

      President, D.C. Federation of Civic Associations, Inc. - www.dcfca.org

      #24 of DC41