RE: [MPD-5D] 15 S Street NE

  • Aurigemma, Daniel (MPD)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
      Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will have an officer go by tonight and check out the location. I will also advise the PSA 501 team to give the location special attention. Thanks again, Captain Aurigemma.

      "One City Summer Fun ... Something for Everyone"
      Mayor Gray's comprehensive summer program with fun activities, events and services for residents of all ages
      For more information visit www.onecitysummer.dc.gov<http://www.onecitysummer.dc.gov> or call 311

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
        For at least the last three nights there have been fireworks going off in Trinidad.

        I have been calling in, but is there more that can be done?

        Thanks.
        Virginia

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
            That's good to hear, Commander.  FYI, there has been a lot of chatter here regarding 4th of July fireworks for the past couple of years-- AFTER the fact.

            I hope your PSA teams have noted or can recall the gathering locations of last year's increasing numbers of Maryland fireworks scofflaws.  Their inconsideration for the residents of the DC neighborhoods they have invaded seems to be increasing with each passing year.

            Usually, it's not hard to tell neighborhood revelers from the suburban rowdies.  Our neighbors and their kids usually end their activities early-- by 9:30 to 10 p.m.

            And it's especially disturbing that church, school and other small parking lot areas are becoming traditional, late night gathering places for this law-breaking in the name of "patriotism."  Of course these small parking lots (and/or playgrounds) are most often in mixed use blocks-- having residential houses and apartments abutting those lots.

            Nearby humans (including babies, the elderly and infirm), pets and urban wildlife alike, are terrorized -- often late into the night by these selfish visitors.

            There is usually fireworks litter cleanup required the following day, too.

            This new influx of suburbanites to our neighborhoods on the Fourth-- certainly in 502, anyway-- appears to be due to tougher fireworks laws and enforcement in Maryland.  There is likely an equal and opposite impression by the perpetrators that DC's fireworks laws are lax, with lax enforcement.

            So go forth on the Fourth, MPD!  Break their pattern.  Give these disturbers of our peace a new impression that lasts through next year, please.  Well-rested Fifth District residents (and their pets) will be ever so grateful.

            brian
            PSA 502

            Vids/ News re. Runaway Pets Frightened By Fireworks...

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePUl41SJ_3U

            http://www.ktvb.com/news/Fireworks-scare-off-pets-humane-society-full-of-runaway-animals-97817524.html

            http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/jun/30/pet-owners-should-take-extra-precautions-during-fo/

            -----------------------------
            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

            RE: [MPD-5D] Fireworks starting early

            Call 911.  We have a team of officers working exclusively on the fireworks issue,, and they can help.

            Andy Solberg

            x201C;One City Summer Fun x2026; Something for Everyonex201D;
            Mayor Grayx2019;s comprehensive summer program with fun activities, events and services for residents of all ages
            For more information visit
            www.onecitysummer.dc.gov  or call 311

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
              Thanks for posting about where we might find scofflaws on Monday. I, for one, have to be at work bright and early on Tuesday. I don't mind some revelry, but I need things to calm down at a reasonable hour this year so that I and my immediate neighbors can get to bed and work. I agree that my neighbors will probably let off before or around 10 (they typically start their displays right after the downtown fireworks and they last for about 30 minutes), but last year we were hearing fireworks from a slight distance away until the wee hours of the morning (well after our neighbors had knocked off), and didn't really know where they might be coming from.

              I would also like to note that we have noticed a SIGNIFICANT reduction in the number and duration of fireworks on our neighborhood up here in 505 this year. I don't know if this is a direct result of more intensive policing efforts, but the increased police involvement can't hurt. Last year, we were suffering, as usual, with fireworks almost a month before the 4th almost every night (and continuing for a few weeks afterwards). This year, we didn't even hear our first firework until about a week ago, and what we have heard has been fairly infrequent. Tonight I heard occasional fireworks up until about an hour ago (11:30), but they were quiet enough that I could at least have slept through them if I was trying to do so. Sooooo grateful for this, and I'd like to encourage our 5D officers to keep up the good work because it was most likely either direct enforcement or word-of-mouth about the enforcement that made this great change happen this year! Kudos!

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2011
                All:

                We have two officers working each shift through Tuesday who are focused exclusively on fireworks, and a three-person team of officers in plain clothes addressing illegal fireworks and firework stands.

                The best way to have them respond to any fireworks-related activity is not to email me or other MPD personnel but to call 911.  You are welcome to email any of us with your concerns about activity that is not currently in progress, but please utilize the appropriate method of contacting MPD to report onging activity.

                Andy Solberg
                Commander, 5D