Judge sentences Holcomb to 50 years

  • brian.ions
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2011
      METRO WEEKLY
      Holcomb Gets 50 years
      D.C. judge delivers sentence for 2009 shooting of gay D.C. resident Anthony Perkins

      by Yusef Najafi
      Published on June 30, 2011, 1:14pm

      A D.C. Superior Court judge sentenced Antwan Holcomb, 21, to 50 years behind bars for the first-degree murder of Anthony Perkins , a gay D.C. resident, on Thursday, June 30.

      Holcomb was also sentenced for other violent crimes involving other victims including assault with intent to kill, assault with a dangerous weapon and illegal possession of firearm.

      In total, Judge Lee Satterfield sentenced Holcomb to more than 80 years behind bars. Holcomb was also sentenced to 15 years, to be served concurrently, for the armed robbery of Perkins, from whom he stole a pack of cigarettes after the Dec. 27, 2009, shooting.

      Perkins
      Perkins

      The sentencing comes after a jury found Holcomb guilty of first-degree murder on March 1.

      Perkins was 29 and lived with his mother in the District. According to the Metropolitan Police Department, he worked as a dispatcher for an air conditioning and heating company.

      Before Satterfield announced sentencing, Perkins's mother, Stella Perkins, addressed the court with comments directed at Holcomb. Looking at Holcomb directly, she said, ''I know how it feels now that I don't have a son. And now your mother won't have a son.

      ''You hurt your family. You hurt a lot of people. But you hurt yourself. … My son was gay and it didn't bother me, because he was my baby,'' she said, tearing up. ''He wouldn't hurt a flea. You took away my heart. … I can't forgive you. God is going to have to judge you.''
      http://www.metroweekly.com/news/?ak=6395

    • Aisha Hunte
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2011
        All he got was 50 years for first degree murder? Is this sentence
        Considered harsh because it was a hate crime?

        I am from Texas and to me 50 years for first degree murder is BS. The minimum should have been life in prison. I hope it's 50 years without the possibility of parole.

        Aisha Hunte