RE: [MPD-5D] Noisy neighbors

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011

      We don’t have any noise meters, and the law has changed.  If anyone is making noise that is bothersome to the community between 10 pm and 7 am, they are subject to arrest.

      If you get in touch with Lt. Bernat and provide him the information we can address this.

      Andy Solberg

      “One City Summer Fun … Something for Everyone”
      Mayor Gray’s comprehensive summer program with fun activities, events and services for residents of all ages
      For more information visit
      www.onecitysummer.dc.gov  or call 311

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2011
        Thank you for the reply, Commander.

        Hopefully, we won't reach that point; I spoke with the landlord and the tenant the other day, and I hope we've reached an understanding. This solution seems to be a 0-60 mph one, though. There's been a history of us asking them to turn down their noise over the past 7 years and they continue to repeat their behavior. If the police come, they turn it down, but are antagonized and repeat the behavior regardless. So, we would like to be assured that the officers both understand the laws and are able to follow through with them to correct unlawful behavior.

        I would like to point out that your officers who came out Saturday night got all the details of the law incorrect--the time is 10, not 11 any day of the week; there are no noise meters; and we should call Lt. Bernat when the noise occurs. This creates confusion for our neighbors and a possible loophole as they and others heard incorrect information regarding what's allowed and what's not. We are still worried that they will continue to disrupt the neighborhood.

        I trust that officers are being educated in the new law, since there are rather recent changes.

        If need be, I'd be very happy to continue this conversation via email, phone, or in person.

        Sincerely,
        Nick Loewen

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2011
          All MPD members have, or will be, instructed in the new laws during 2011 in-service training.

          In the meantime, we are making every effort to make sure our officers are aware of the laws and how they are enforced.

          I know Lieutenant Bernat has been working with the midnight shift to enforce these laws.