RE: [MPD-5D] Drug Activity at First and O Street NW

  • Eldridge, Michael (MPD)
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 27, 2011

      Yes – we are aware of the O Street matter and working on the problem.  We are also working on the problems at the First and Florida Park .  As you know, it is difficult to ‘get rid’ of the people loitering on public space.  However, we are aggressively enforcing the closing of the parks at 9 PM to discourage folks hanging out in the neighborhood.  ME.

      Michael I. Eldridge

      Inspector/Director

      Disciplinary Review Branch

      801 Shepherd Street, Northwest

      Washington, D.C.  20011

      Office:  202-576-7066

      Cell:  202-657-9679

      “One City Summer Fun … Something for Everyone”
      Mayor Gray’s comprehensive summer program with fun activities, events and services for residents of all ages
      For more information visit
      www.onecitysummer.dc.gov  or call 311

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 27, 2011
        Please pardon my questioning as I do not mean to be combative; just a concerned resident at 1st and O.  How is it determined that these people are 'drug dealers' as opposed to people loitering, or even just passing through?

        K Fourmy
      • cknightdc
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 27, 2011
          Well as a resident and home owner on first and O street, I have seen with my own two eyes drug deals/drug use by the same group of guys over and over again as well as residents along O street being harassed by some of the individuals. I along with various others have posted on this site as well as called the police numerous times. I'm pretty sure that the people living here posting on this list-serve can distinguish the difference between someone that just passes through from one of the same old faces that deal/loiter and use drugs along first and all up and down O Street.

          Chris

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Fourmy <kfourmy@...> wrote:

          > Please pardon my questioning as I do not mean to be combative; just a
          > concerned resident at 1st and O. How is it determined that these people are
          > 'drug dealers' as opposed to people loitering, or even just passing through?
          >
          > K Fourmy

        • tvehunt
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
            The drug dealers are out here in the neighborhood again

            Can the police come by and do something about this, because this situation is becoming an real old nuisance!!

            A response is greatly appreciated.

            Thank you.
          • Eliza Auckerman

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
                I live near that corner and see a group hanging out there frequently in the evenings and on the weekends. I have seen them playing a card game and money being exchanged as I've been stopped at the light. What I would like to know is when is it prudent to call the police and when not? I am sure the gambling should have been brought to the attention of police, but if a group is hanging out at that corner with no apparent suspicious behavior, should I really be calling the police then? I want unsavory characters to know their activities are not welcome in our neighborhood, especially with the school so close by. At the same time, I also don't want to be a bother to police or any group of individuals that happen to be gathered outside with no malicious intent. I appreciate any feedback our 5th District Officers can provide.

                Thanks,
                Matt Ernest
                Truxton Circle Resident since 9/30/2011
              • Brown, Jeff (MPD)
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012

                  Good Morning Matt,

                  The officers here at the Fifth District and throughout the Metropolitan Police Department are here to respond to your calls for service.  Please do not hesitate to dial 911 and report ANY behavior you feel needs our attention.

                  Gambling of any sort on public space is illegal in the District of Columbia and often leads to violent crime.

                  We will be receiving recruit officers from the Police Academy for the Christmas Holiday season and several of them will be deployed in this area to address this type of activity.  The PSA manager, Lieutenant Randy Griffin, will also be meeting with his officers to implement the course of action for this area.

                  Thank You.

                  Capt. J. Brown

                  5th District

                  (202) 698-0288

                  Help 9-1-1 Save Your Life!
                  Create a free Safety Profile to provide critical, lifesaving data to 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency call today at
                  www.smart911.com.
                  Inform first responders in advance!