Neighborhood Garden Walk - The Nominations For the Best Are In

  • Geovani A Bonilla
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2011

      Wow – the Flower Power Nominations sure did come in. We had over 40 gardens nominated for the Garden Walk. It may be tough to select the best of the best.

      The Reception offers to also be the neighborhood gathering of the season. We expect over 50 neighbors to take place in this event. Over 40 tickets have been sold in advance.

      When: Saturday, June 25th

      Where: Garden Walk starts at Florida Avenue Park ( Florida and First ST NW ). Walk groups will be coordinated between 4pm and 5pm. Groups of 10 – 12 will depart from this location at 4:15pm, 4:30pm, 4:45pm, and 5:00pm. Each group will visit the gardens nominated and vote on their favorites. In past walks, some of the nominees have bribed (I mean refreshed) the judges with cool lemonade, Mojitos, or fresh baked cookies. Cold bottled water will be provided at the starting point.

      Reception: At 5:30pm, we will come together at 1500 First ST NW for a glass of wine and some delicious appetizers and finger snacks.

      The suggested donation for the event is $10 per person. This is a contribution to the Bates Area Civic Association, which is a non-profit organization under DC Tax Regulations and IRS regulations. Please make your check payable to BACA.

      Geovani A. Bonilla

      Bates Area Civic Association

      Email: gbonilla@...

    • khenderson029@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2011
        I planned to attend this event because I believe the activity underscores the Broken Windows Theory. Unfortunately, I cannot attend due to work responsibilities.

        This type of community activity improves the appearance of the community, builds neighborhood cohesion and helps to make neighborhoods safer. I applaud the Bates area neighbors for organizing this event and setting a good example for others. I encourage other neighbors on this listserv to freely replicate this type of activity on your street. We have the power to help make our neighborhoods prettier, stronger and safer.

        Kathy Henderson

        From: "Geovani A Bonilla" <gbonilla@...>
        Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:40:29 -0400
        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [MPD-5D] Neighborhood Garden Walk - The Nominations For the Best Are In

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2011

          Kathy – you have bee a great resource to me in ideas on how to address issues in our neighborhood. We had an extremely successful event with over 40 neighbors participating. I am so proud of our neighborhood. Many neighbors were out working on their yards late last night and this morning to prepare their gardens for the walk. We saw some amazing yards and gardens. The walk was 2.5 miles long and the afternoon was delightful.

          Our reception was a great success and though it was supposed to end at 6:30pm, it lasted until 9:45pm. It was great neighbors meeting neighbors and taking pride in our neighborhood.

          Thank you all for your support.

          Geovani A. Bonilla

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 26, 2011

            Hi Giovani, BACA, and neighbors

            I Loved the walk!!  It was my third to enjoy. I'm already looking forward to next years and sorry I missed 2010s.

            It is such great way to promote the positive aspects of a neighborhood.  The program and admittance card were a great touch.

            Sara

            Bloomingdale PSA 501

          • khenderson029@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 26, 2011
              Geovani:

              I am really glad to hear that you and your neighbors had a great event. Thank you for your kind words and your leadership. Keep up the great work. I regret missing the event; however, I will gladly donate the cost of a ticket to help promote flower power. Where there are flowers criminals will not linger long.

              Kathy Henderson