Re: mini motorcycles/mini scooters

  • k_fw
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
      Hi Darth,

      That is an interesting analogy between the Big Wheels and mini-motorcycles.

      Although the differences between riding "toys" on the sidewalk are slight, they
      are still important.

      A Big Wheel is often operated by 5- to 10-year-old children who can obtain a
      maximum speed of approximately 10 mph, if the child is very athletic and
      hopped up on Hi-C.

      A mini-motorcycle, on the other hand, is frequently operated by a 20- to 30-
      year-old man who can obtain a maximum speed (given the size of the engine)
      of 45 mph. Though I will admit, this maximum speed is rarely achieved while
      the operator cradles his cargo from the liquor store.

      These differences don't always hold true, just what I witness on pleasant days
      on the sidewalk in front of my house.

    • scott_pointer
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
        And the irony is that they will break into our homes to steal the
        money to buy these things to drive us crazy!

        'Pocket bikes' drive new debate and laws
        By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY
        Tiny motorcycles have become a rage among teens - and also a source
        of rage for communities across the USA that are banning or
        restricting their use.
        "Pocket bikes," or "mini motos," usually 15-18 inches high and
        capable of going 35 mph, have joined motorized skateboards and
        scooters on the danger list in many states, towns and cities that
        consider them a speedy nuisance.
        In recent weeks:
        • Arlington Heights, Ill., gave preliminary approval to an ordinance
        that would ban motorized scooters and skateboards. Police in the
        village of 77,000 northwest of Chicago got 56 complaints about them
        last year, up from 16 in 2002, says Chief Gerald Mourning. "It's
        also a safety issue," he says.
        • The New Hampshire Department of Safety has asked the state
        Legislature to ban motorized scooters and pocket bikes on streets.
        • La Porte, Texas, restricted the use of motorized scooters to
        daylight hours and to streets with posted speed limits under 30 mph
        after two boys lost control of their scooter and were struck and
        injured by a car.
        • Lenexa, Kan., stopped short of banning the devices outright.
        Instead, the City Council voted to allow motorized skateboards on
        sidewalks but banned them on streets. Pocket bikes and other
        motorized vehicles are prohibited on all public property.
        • Monroe, Wash., following the lead of some adjoining communities,
        passed an ordinance restricting operation of motorized scooters to
        those ages 16 and older. The scooters can be used only during
        daylight hours, and riders must wear helmets.
        • Several Arizona communities, including Tempe, Chandler and Mesa,
        have considered banning motorized scooters. Both Phoenix and Tucson
        outlawed them last year.
        Emergency room doctors across the nation treated 10,015 injuries
        connected to motorized gas- or battery-powered scooters from July 1,
        2003, to June 30, 2004, says Patty Davis, spokeswoman for the
        Consumer Product Safety Commission (news - web sites). The
        commission is an independent federal agency charged with protecting
        the public from risk of injury.
        About one-third of those injured were younger than 15, Davis says.
        And since October 1998, she says, 49 motorized-scooter riders have
        died.
        New Hampshire state Rep. John Flanders, a former sheriff's deputy
        and sponsor of his state's proposal, says: "I had a near-collision
        with one of those folks out on the main highway. The kids have no
        fear. The people that are afraid are the people that are driving
        cars. I wouldn't want that on my conscience, hitting a young fellow."