Re: [MPD-5D] Re: mini motorcycles/mini scooters

  • Darth kir
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
      A 49 cc mini motor cycles is well below the need to
      register. I'm not positive however I think the limit
      is 100cc before it must be registered.

      My personal feelings are to let the kids have fun and
      if they are teens let the teens have fun with the
      things. It will be a popular toy for one, two, maybe
      even three seasons then something else will be
      popular. They will ride them and ride them and soon
      they will be inoperable. I use to hear the same type
      of complaints about big wheels (they make too much
      noise, kids are racing up and down the sidewalk) let
      they kids have fun.

      Next time try asking them if it's fun to ride or
      something like that. They will probable respect your
      right of way on the sidewalk next time. Thats the
      nature of a kid.

      __________________________________
      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
    • k_fw
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
        Hi Darth,

        That is an interesting analogy between the Big Wheels and mini-motorcycles.

        Although the differences between riding "toys" on the sidewalk are slight, they
        are still important.

        A Big Wheel is often operated by 5- to 10-year-old children who can obtain a
        maximum speed of approximately 10 mph, if the child is very athletic and
        hopped up on Hi-C.

        A mini-motorcycle, on the other hand, is frequently operated by a 20- to 30-
        year-old man who can obtain a maximum speed (given the size of the engine)
        of 45 mph. Though I will admit, this maximum speed is rarely achieved while
        the operator cradles his cargo from the liquor store.

        These differences don't always hold true, just what I witness on pleasant days
        on the sidewalk in front of my house.

      • scott_pointer
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
          And the irony is that they will break into our homes to steal the
          money to buy these things to drive us crazy!

          'Pocket bikes' drive new debate and laws
          By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY
          Tiny motorcycles have become a rage among teens - and also a source
          of rage for communities across the USA that are banning or
          restricting their use.
          "Pocket bikes," or "mini motos," usually 15-18 inches high and
          capable of going 35 mph, have joined motorized skateboards and
          scooters on the danger list in many states, towns and cities that
          consider them a speedy nuisance.
          In recent weeks:
          • Arlington Heights, Ill., gave preliminary approval to an ordinance
          that would ban motorized scooters and skateboards. Police in the
          village of 77,000 northwest of Chicago got 56 complaints about them
          last year, up from 16 in 2002, says Chief Gerald Mourning. "It's
          also a safety issue," he says.
          • The New Hampshire Department of Safety has asked the state
          Legislature to ban motorized scooters and pocket bikes on streets.
          • La Porte, Texas, restricted the use of motorized scooters to
          daylight hours and to streets with posted speed limits under 30 mph
          after two boys lost control of their scooter and were struck and
          injured by a car.
          • Lenexa, Kan., stopped short of banning the devices outright.
          Instead, the City Council voted to allow motorized skateboards on
          sidewalks but banned them on streets. Pocket bikes and other
          motorized vehicles are prohibited on all public property.
          • Monroe, Wash., following the lead of some adjoining communities,
          passed an ordinance restricting operation of motorized scooters to
          those ages 16 and older. The scooters can be used only during
          daylight hours, and riders must wear helmets.
          • Several Arizona communities, including Tempe, Chandler and Mesa,
          have considered banning motorized scooters. Both Phoenix and Tucson
          outlawed them last year.
          Emergency room doctors across the nation treated 10,015 injuries
          connected to motorized gas- or battery-powered scooters from July 1,
          2003, to June 30, 2004, says Patty Davis, spokeswoman for the
          Consumer Product Safety Commission (news - web sites). The
          commission is an independent federal agency charged with protecting
          the public from risk of injury.
          About one-third of those injured were younger than 15, Davis says.
          And since October 1998, she says, 49 motorized-scooter riders have
          died.
          New Hampshire state Rep. John Flanders, a former sheriff's deputy
          and sponsor of his state's proposal, says: "I had a near-collision
          with one of those folks out on the main highway. The kids have no
          fear. The people that are afraid are the people that are driving
          cars. I wouldn't want that on my conscience, hitting a young fellow."