Re: [MPD-5D] Another attack on the Met Branch Trail - 3 in the last 30 days

  • Debbie (Smith) Steiner
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2011
      Who ever thought up the original design forgot about lighting in that stretch of the MBT.  My first concern would be public safety, I don't care how much money was place into to getting that MBT trail together.  I would hope that those who are willing, write CM Thomas and have him to find some money in the budget.  We want that trail but not at the cost of people hurting people. Since CM Thomas can advocate for baseball clinics and have money steered towards it, don't you think we deserve decent lighting and an emergency call box or 2 on the section of the MBT?

      My 2¢

      On Jun 2, 2011 11:06 PM, Solberg, Andrew (MPD) <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

      We are working on this problem. I don't care to share all on this listserv.

      If you SEE something, SAY something.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2011
        Good morning,

        There is clearly a problem if the officers admit that attacks on the MBT are not uncommon. Are there not enough police resources to have patrols regularly monitor the trails during the hours of 2pm-9pm? Or is it simply a matter of not prioritizing this section of the District?

        When I hit the trail, I typically blow past other riders, as it is one of the few sections on my commute where I get an opportunity to really open up. Going forward, I think I will make a point to stick to other riders so that together we will present a less attractive target. I would encourage others to do the same. If we watch out for one another, we may be able to help lessen the occurrence of this sort of thing.

        Let me add my voice to those who have stated that it is completely unacceptable for officers to tell riders to avoid the trail, effectively ceding the territory to a more malicious segment of our community.

        Jon
        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

        > We are working on this problem. I don't care to share all on this listserv.
        >
        > Andy Solberg
        >

        > Preventing terrorism is everybody’s business.
        > If you SEE something, SAY something.
        > Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@...<mailto:SAR@...> to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.
        > Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.
        >
        > To learn more, visit http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • faith
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2011
          I live on Walnut St. NE and as I was arriving home around 2:30pm, I noticed about five (5) MPD 5th District cars in front on one of the houses. Another car was patrolling around the neighborhood. What was going on?

          Faith
          Walnut St. NE

          Sent from the iPhone of Faith
          Please excuse any spelling errors

          On Jun 3, 2011, at 9:55 AM, "yardbyrdster" <yardbyrdster@...> wrote:

          > Good morning,
          >
          > There is clearly a problem if the officers admit that attacks on the MBT are not uncommon. Are there not enough police resources to have patrols regularly monitor the trails during the hours of 2pm-9pm? Or is it simply a matter of not prioritizing this section of the District?
          >
          > When I hit the trail, I typically blow past other riders, as it is one of the few sections on my commute where I get an opportunity to really open up. Going forward, I think I will make a point to stick to other riders so that together we will present a less attractive target. I would encourage others to do the same. If we watch out for one another, we may be able to help lessen the occurrence of this sort of thing.
          >
          > Let me add my voice to those who have stated that it is completely unacceptable for officers to tell riders to avoid the trail, effectively ceding the territory to a more malicious segment of our community.
          >
          > Jon
          > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > We are working on this problem. I don't care to share all on this listserv.
          > >
          > > Andy Solberg
          > >

          > > Preventing terrorism is everybody’s business.
          > > If you SEE something, SAY something.
          > > Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@...<mailto:SAR@...> to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.
          > > Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.
          > >
          > > To learn more, visit http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.
          > >

          > > ________________________________

        • Grogan, Brian (MPD)
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2011
            5th District units responded for a possible burglary but after checking the location found nothing. Thank you for your concern
            --------------------------
            Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2011
                  There was no burglary found. Thabk you
                  --------------------------
                  Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

                  I live on Walnut St. NE and as I was arriving home around 2:30pm, I noticed about five (5) MPD 5th District cars in front on one of the houses. Another car was patrolling around the neighborhood. What was going on?

                  Faith
                  Walnut St. NE

                  Sent from the iPhone of Faith
                  Please excuse any spelling errors

                  On Jun 3, 2011, at 9:55 AM, "yardbyrdster" <yardbyrdster@...> wrote:

                  > Good morning,
                  >
                  > There is clearly a problem if the officers admit that attacks on the MBT are not uncommon. Are there not enough police resources to have patrols regularly monitor the trails during the hours of 2pm-9pm? Or is it simply a matter of not prioritizing this section of the District?
                  >
                  > When I hit the trail, I typically blow past other riders, as it is one of the few sections on my commute where I get an opportunity to really open up. Going forward, I think I will make a point to stick to other riders so that together we will present a less attractive target. I would encourage others to do the same. If we watch out for one another, we may be able to help lessen the occurrence of this sort of thing.
                  >
                  > Let me add my voice to those who have stated that it is completely unacceptable for officers to tell riders to avoid the trail, effectively ceding the territory to a more malicious segment of our community.
                  >
                  > Jon
                  > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > We are working on this problem. I don't care to share all on this listserv.
                  > >
                  > > Andy Solberg
                  > >

                  > > Preventing terrorism is everybody’s business.
                  > > If you SEE something, SAY something.
                  > > Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@...<mailto:SAR@...> to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.
                  > > Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.
                  > >
                  > > To learn more, visit http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.

                • Hughes, Corinne (MPD)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
                    There was a Burglary II in the 3200 Blk of Chestnut St. NE. Unknown suspect(s) entered through the rear door, attempted to take the TV, however they dropped it in the rear of the location. We will increase our patrols in the area.

                    Lt. Corinne Hughes

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
                      Thank you for your follow up! I truly appreciate that. I am sure that I speak not only for myself but for my neighbors when I say that we would LOVE more patrols in the area.

                      Thank you again.
                      Faith