Re: [MPD-5D] Another attack on the Met Branch Trail - 3 in the last 30 days

  • Steven Conn
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2011
      Dear Commander Solberg, is there a possibility to dispatch under cover / plain clothes bike officers onto the MBT? I'm sure if word spreads among the perps that they'd better not attack anyone because it could be an undercover / plain clothes officer, attacks would decrease!

      Best regards and be safe out there!

      On Thu Jun 2nd, 2011 4:14 PM EDT ToddKeller36 wrote:

      >The post below was copied over from the Petworth listserv. It appears the descriptions of the attackers are the same in all three cases, I should know I was their victim on May 5th and now sport a nice cast on my right arm thanks to a broken wrist (misdiagnosed after the accident). And apparently the responding officers told the cyclist just to avoid the area...WHAT! So the city and Rails To Trails conservancy and others poured a lot of resources into building this trail to give it over to the thugs? The police, community, trail managers, commuters and others better come together or we will lose this great place to run, walk, and ride!
      >
      >TK
      >
      >"Dear PoPville,
      >
      >Last night I was biking along the Metropolitan Branch Trail just south of Rhode Island Ave when two young males tried to force me off my bike with a taser. When I was first approaching them I scolded myself for thinking that two young black males were acting suspicious because they were just sitting on the trail (one on each side) and appeared to be just waiting for someone to come along. It turns out that heightened suspicion may have saved me because I spotted the taser in the assailants hand and swerved enough at the last second to avoid being jolted by it. I heard it and saw the "spark" but he just about completely missed me, I've felt a larger shock when I was plugging in a lamp.
      >
      >As soon as I was out of sight I called 911, and give props to the cops there were two squad cars there on the trail within a few minutes. Of course by then the perps were gone, I wasn't expecting them to be dumb enough to stick around. After the cops took my report they told me this is not uncommon on this part of the trail, especially between the hours of 2 and 9 pm (after school hours) and it is probably a good idea to avoid that part of the trail between NY Ave and Rhode Island Ave completely.
      >
      >The cops said this was the first they had heard of a taser being used, and that normally it is 4 or 5 assailants that will just knock bikers off their bike and rob them. I just wanted to try to spread word to bikers/runners about this part of the trail, had I heard this warning before last night I would've thought twice about riding there alone. I guess it's back to the overcrowded VA bike trails for me."

    • Grogan, Brian (MPD)
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2011
        5th District officers will continue to patrol the trail using bicycles, everyone is encouraged to use the trail and to please call 911 if any suspicious persons are seen on the trail. Detectives are following up on leads for the robberies, We will ensure officers continue our commitment to keep the trail and neighborhoods safe. I appologize for any innapropriate remarks made by report officers. Please feel free to contact me if you have more information. If anyone has information concerning the robberies please call the detectives on 202 698 0660. Or 202 727 9099. Thank you
        --------------------------
        Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

        If you SEE something, SAY something.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2011
          We are working on this problem. I don't care to share all on this listserv.

          If you SEE something, SAY something.

          Dear Commander Solberg, is there a possibility to dispatch under cover / plain clothes bike officers onto the MBT? I'm sure if word spreads among the perps that they'd better not attack anyone because it could be an undercover / plain clothes officer, attacks would decrease!

          Best regards and be safe out there!

          On Thu Jun 2nd, 2011 4:14 PM EDT ToddKeller36 wrote:

          >The post below was copied over from the Petworth listserv. It appears the descriptions of the attackers are the same in all three cases, I should know I was their victim on May 5th and now sport a nice cast on my right arm thanks to a broken wrist (misdiagnosed after the accident). And apparently the responding officers told the cyclist just to avoid the area...WHAT! So the city and Rails To Trails conservancy and others poured a lot of resources into building this trail to give it over to the thugs? The police, community, trail managers, commuters and others better come together or we will lose this great place to run, walk, and ride!
          >
          >TK
          >
          >"Dear PoPville,
          >
          >Last night I was biking along the Metropolitan Branch Trail just south of Rhode Island Ave when two young males tried to force me off my bike with a taser. When I was first approaching them I scolded myself for thinking that two young black males were acting suspicious because they were just sitting on the trail (one on each side) and appeared to be just waiting for someone to come along. It turns out that heightened suspicion may have saved me because I spotted the taser in the assailants hand and swerved enough at the last second to avoid being jolted by it. I heard it and saw the "spark" but he just about completely missed me, I've felt a larger shock when I was plugging in a lamp.
          >
          >As soon as I was out of sight I called 911, and give props to the cops there were two squad cars there on the trail within a few minutes. Of course by then the perps were gone, I wasn't expecting them to be dumb enough to stick around. After the cops took my report they told me this is not uncommon on this part of the trail, especially between the hours of 2 and 9 pm (after school hours) and it is probably a good idea to avoid that part of the trail between NY Ave and Rhode Island Ave completely.
          >
          >The cops said this was the first they had heard of a taser being used, and that normally it is 4 or 5 assailants that will just knock bikers off their bike and rob them. I just wanted to try to spread word to bikers/runners about this part of the trail, had I heard this warning before last night I would've thought twice about riding there alone. I guess it's back to the overcrowded VA bike trails for me."

        • Debbie (Smith) Steiner
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2011
            Who ever thought up the original design forgot about lighting in that stretch of the MBT.  My first concern would be public safety, I don't care how much money was place into to getting that MBT trail together.  I would hope that those who are willing, write CM Thomas and have him to find some money in the budget.  We want that trail but not at the cost of people hurting people. Since CM Thomas can advocate for baseball clinics and have money steered towards it, don't you think we deserve decent lighting and an emergency call box or 2 on the section of the MBT?

            My 2¢

            On Jun 2, 2011 11:06 PM, Solberg, Andrew (MPD) <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

            We are working on this problem. I don't care to share all on this listserv.

            If you SEE something, SAY something.

            Dear Commander Solberg, is there a possibility to dispatch under cover / plain clothes bike officers onto the MBT? I'm sure if word spreads among the perps that they'd better not attack anyone because it could be an undercover / plain clothes officer, attacks would decrease!

            Best regards and be safe out there!

            On Thu Jun 2nd, 2011 4:14 PM EDT ToddKeller36 wrote:

            >The post below was copied over from the Petworth listserv. It appears the descriptions of the attackers are the same in all three cases, I should know I was their victim on May 5th and now sport a nice cast on my right arm thanks to a broken wrist (misdiagnosed after the accident). And apparently the responding officers told the cyclist just to avoid the area...WHAT! So the city and Rails To Trails conservancy and others poured a lot of resources into building this trail to give it over to the thugs? The police, community, trail managers, commuters and others better come together or we will lose this great place to run, walk, and ride!
            >
            >TK
            >
            >"Dear PoPville,
            >
            >Last night I was biking along the Metropolitan Branch Trail just south of Rhode Island Ave when two young males tried to force me off my bike with a taser. When I was first approaching them I scolded myself for thinking that two young black males were acting suspicious because they were just sitting on the trail (one on each side) and appeared to be just waiting for someone to come along. It turns out that heightened suspicion may have saved me because I spotted the taser in the assailants hand and swerved enough at the last second to avoid being jolted by it. I heard it and saw the "spark" but he just about completely missed me, I've felt a larger shock when I was plugging in a lamp.
            >
            >As soon as I was out of sight I called 911, and give props to the cops there were two squad cars there on the trail within a few minutes. Of course by then the perps were gone, I wasn't expecting them to be dumb enough to stick around. After the cops took my report they told me this is not uncommon on this part of the trail, especially between the hours of 2 and 9 pm (after school hours) and it is probably a good idea to avoid that part of the trail between NY Ave and Rhode Island Ave completely.
            >
            >The cops said this was the first they had heard of a taser being used, and that normally it is 4 or 5 assailants that will just knock bikers off their bike and rob them. I just wanted to try to spread word to bikers/runners about this part of the trail, had I heard this warning before last night I would've thought twice about riding there alone. I guess it's back to the overcrowded VA bike trails for me."

          • yardbyrdster
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2011
              Good morning,

              There is clearly a problem if the officers admit that attacks on the MBT are not uncommon. Are there not enough police resources to have patrols regularly monitor the trails during the hours of 2pm-9pm? Or is it simply a matter of not prioritizing this section of the District?

              When I hit the trail, I typically blow past other riders, as it is one of the few sections on my commute where I get an opportunity to really open up. Going forward, I think I will make a point to stick to other riders so that together we will present a less attractive target. I would encourage others to do the same. If we watch out for one another, we may be able to help lessen the occurrence of this sort of thing.

              Let me add my voice to those who have stated that it is completely unacceptable for officers to tell riders to avoid the trail, effectively ceding the territory to a more malicious segment of our community.

              Jon
              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

              > We are working on this problem. I don't care to share all on this listserv.
              >
              > Andy Solberg
              >

              > Preventing terrorism is everybody’s business.
              > If you SEE something, SAY something.
              > Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@...<mailto:SAR@...> to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.
              > Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.
              >
              > To learn more, visit http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • faith
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3, 2011
                I live on Walnut St. NE and as I was arriving home around 2:30pm, I noticed about five (5) MPD 5th District cars in front on one of the houses. Another car was patrolling around the neighborhood. What was going on?

                Faith
                Walnut St. NE

                Sent from the iPhone of Faith
                Please excuse any spelling errors

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2011
                  5th District units responded for a possible burglary but after checking the location found nothing. Thank you for your concern
                  --------------------------

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 3, 2011
                        There was no burglary found. Thabk you
                        --------------------------
                        Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

                        I live on Walnut St. NE and as I was arriving home around 2:30pm, I noticed about five (5) MPD 5th District cars in front on one of the houses. Another car was patrolling around the neighborhood. What was going on?

                        Faith
                        Walnut St. NE

                        Sent from the iPhone of Faith
                        Please excuse any spelling errors

                        On Jun 3, 2011, at 9:55 AM, "yardbyrdster" <yardbyrdster@...> wrote:

                        > Good morning,
                        >
                        > There is clearly a problem if the officers admit that attacks on the MBT are not uncommon. Are there not enough police resources to have patrols regularly monitor the trails during the hours of 2pm-9pm? Or is it simply a matter of not prioritizing this section of the District?
                        >
                        > When I hit the trail, I typically blow past other riders, as it is one of the few sections on my commute where I get an opportunity to really open up. Going forward, I think I will make a point to stick to other riders so that together we will present a less attractive target. I would encourage others to do the same. If we watch out for one another, we may be able to help lessen the occurrence of this sort of thing.
                        >
                        > Let me add my voice to those who have stated that it is completely unacceptable for officers to tell riders to avoid the trail, effectively ceding the territory to a more malicious segment of our community.
                        >
                        > Jon
                        > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > We are working on this problem. I don't care to share all on this listserv.
                        > >
                        > > Andy Solberg
                        > >

                        > > Preventing terrorism is everybody’s business.
                        > > If you SEE something, SAY something.
                        > > Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@...<mailto:SAR@...> to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.
                        > > Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.
                        > >
                        > > To learn more, visit http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.

                      • Hughes, Corinne (MPD)
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
                          There was a Burglary II in the 3200 Blk of Chestnut St. NE. Unknown suspect(s) entered through the rear door, attempted to take the TV, however they dropped it in the rear of the location. We will increase our patrols in the area.

                          Lt. Corinne Hughes

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
                            Thank you for your follow up! I truly appreciate that. I am sure that I speak not only for myself but for my neighbors when I say that we would LOVE more patrols in the area.

                            Thank you again.
                            Faith