FW: DC Emer Mgmt Agency: Protective Actions Against Heat

  • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1 3:12 PM
      From: Groomes, Diane (MPD)
      Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:31 AM
      To: Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
      Subject: Fw: Protective Actions for Heat

      Pls post.

      ----- Original Message -----

      From: DC HSEMA Alert <hsema255982@...>

      To: DC RSAN Recipients <rsan@...>

      Sent: Wed Jun 01 11:29:52 2011

      Subject: Protective Actions for Heat

      Protective Actions for Heat

      Residents and visitors in the District should keep cool by staying in the shade or air conditioning and keeping hydrated. Residents are encouraged to:

      1. Wear loose fitting, lighter colored clothing. Take a ride on the metro train and/or bus, which are air conditioned

      2. If you don’t have air-conditioning, arrange to spend at least parts of the day in a shopping mall, public libraries, museums, movie theatres, or other public spaces that are cool.

      3. Fill a spray bottle with water and keep it in the refrigerator for a quick refreshing spray to your face after being outdoors.

      4. Combat dehydration by drinking plenty of water along with sports drinks or other sources of electrolytes.  Avoid drinks containing alcohol, caffeine or a lot of sugar as these can increase dehydration.

      5. Remember that the elderly, infants and those with chronic illnesses can dehydrate more easily and are more susceptible to heat-related illnesses. Observe for signs of heat-related illness such as dizziness, nausea, vomiting.

      6. Observe infants for signs of heat-related illness such as not producing tears when crying or fewer diaper changes.

      7. Don’t forget that pets also need protection from dehydration and heat-related illnesses too. Give them plenty of water.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5
        Last night around 1130p a car crashed into a mini van pushing it into the street light at the corner of 13th and Franklin. Though I didn't see it, my neighbors did and said The car that ran the light stopped briefly in front of my driveway, then took off leaving the person and the scene. I don't know if the person was injured in the minivan. Not sure if MPD has a description of the car that fled.

        As always be careful at that corner. Try to wait 3 seconds before going when the light turns green and never ever try to beat the yellow light. It's not worth it.

        MPD and DDot- what's your plan to fix this corner?

        Elise 13th

        Sent from my iPhone