Re: mini motorcycles/mini scooters

  • k_fw
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
      Lt. Craig,

      Thanks for responding. I understand there us a no-chase law, but the
      law does make law enforcement seem ridiculous when mini-motorcyclists
      drive around and follow a police car!

      That was the scene I witnessed last night after an officer responded
      to my 311 call. The officer simply drove away and parked down the
      street.

      I would like you to elaborate, however, on the legality of the mini-
      motorcycles. Are the drivers violating a law? Do these 49cc mini-
      bikes need to be registered, insured, and tagged in the District of
      Columbia? If an officer successfully pulls one of the drivers over,
      can his bike be impounded?

      Unfortunately, we heard from the mini-motorcycle drivers last night
      that the policeman told them they didn't need to get the vehicles
      tagged. Is that indeed the law?

      Thank you.
    • Darth kir
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
        A 49 cc mini motor cycles is well below the need to
        register. I'm not positive however I think the limit
        is 100cc before it must be registered.

        My personal feelings are to let the kids have fun and
        if they are teens let the teens have fun with the
        things. It will be a popular toy for one, two, maybe
        even three seasons then something else will be
        popular. They will ride them and ride them and soon
        they will be inoperable. I use to hear the same type
        of complaints about big wheels (they make too much
        noise, kids are racing up and down the sidewalk) let
        they kids have fun.

        Next time try asking them if it's fun to ride or
        something like that. They will probable respect your
        right of way on the sidewalk next time. Thats the
        nature of a kid.

        __________________________________
        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
      • k_fw
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
          Hi Darth,

          That is an interesting analogy between the Big Wheels and mini-motorcycles.

          Although the differences between riding "toys" on the sidewalk are slight, they
          are still important.

          A Big Wheel is often operated by 5- to 10-year-old children who can obtain a
          maximum speed of approximately 10 mph, if the child is very athletic and
          hopped up on Hi-C.

          A mini-motorcycle, on the other hand, is frequently operated by a 20- to 30-
          year-old man who can obtain a maximum speed (given the size of the engine)
          of 45 mph. Though I will admit, this maximum speed is rarely achieved while
          the operator cradles his cargo from the liquor store.

          These differences don't always hold true, just what I witness on pleasant days
          on the sidewalk in front of my house.

        • scott_pointer
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
            And the irony is that they will break into our homes to steal the
            money to buy these things to drive us crazy!

            'Pocket bikes' drive new debate and laws
            By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY
            Tiny motorcycles have become a rage among teens - and also a source
            of rage for communities across the USA that are banning or
            restricting their use.
            "Pocket bikes," or "mini motos," usually 15-18 inches high and
            capable of going 35 mph, have joined motorized skateboards and
            scooters on the danger list in many states, towns and cities that
            consider them a speedy nuisance.
            In recent weeks:
            • Arlington Heights, Ill., gave preliminary approval to an ordinance
            that would ban motorized scooters and skateboards. Police in the
            village of 77,000 northwest of Chicago got 56 complaints about them
            last year, up from 16 in 2002, says Chief Gerald Mourning. "It's
            also a safety issue," he says.
            • The New Hampshire Department of Safety has asked the state
            Legislature to ban motorized scooters and pocket bikes on streets.
            • La Porte, Texas, restricted the use of motorized scooters to
            daylight hours and to streets with posted speed limits under 30 mph
            after two boys lost control of their scooter and were struck and
            injured by a car.
            • Lenexa, Kan., stopped short of banning the devices outright.
            Instead, the City Council voted to allow motorized skateboards on
            sidewalks but banned them on streets. Pocket bikes and other
            motorized vehicles are prohibited on all public property.
            • Monroe, Wash., following the lead of some adjoining communities,
            passed an ordinance restricting operation of motorized scooters to
            those ages 16 and older. The scooters can be used only during
            daylight hours, and riders must wear helmets.
            • Several Arizona communities, including Tempe, Chandler and Mesa,
            have considered banning motorized scooters. Both Phoenix and Tucson
            outlawed them last year.
            Emergency room doctors across the nation treated 10,015 injuries
            connected to motorized gas- or battery-powered scooters from July 1,
            2003, to June 30, 2004, says Patty Davis, spokeswoman for the
            Consumer Product Safety Commission (news - web sites). The
            commission is an independent federal agency charged with protecting
            the public from risk of injury.
            About one-third of those injured were younger than 15, Davis says.
            And since October 1998, she says, 49 motorized-scooter riders have
            died.
            New Hampshire state Rep. John Flanders, a former sheriff's deputy
            and sponsor of his state's proposal, says: "I had a near-collision
            with one of those folks out on the main highway. The kids have no
            fear. The people that are afraid are the people that are driving
            cars. I wouldn't want that on my conscience, hitting a young fellow."