- METROPOLITAN POLICE DEPARTMENT OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS Cathy L. LanierMessage 1 of 6 , May 27, 2011View Source
METROPOLITAN POLICE DEPARTMENT OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
Cathy L. Lanier Gwendolyn Crump
Chief of Police Director
For Immediate Release
Contact: Officer Paul Metcalf (202) 727-4383
May 26, 2011
2011 Memorial Day Weekend Events
( Washington , DC )-The Metropolitan Police Department would like to inform the public that multiple events are scheduled to be held this Memorial Day weekend.
On Saturday, May 28, 2011, the United House of Prayer for All People will hold its annual Memorial Day parade. This event will begin at 12:00 noon and will conclude at approximately 3:00 pm. The parade will take place along the following route:
- Begin 6th & M Streets, NW
- North on 6th St. to S St.
- West on S St. to 13th St .
- South on 13th St. to Logan Circle
- Southwest around Logan Circle to P St .
- East on P St. to 7th St .
- South on 7th St. to M St.
- East on M St. to 6th St. where the parade will end
On Saturday, May 28th and Sunday May 29th from 9:00 am-9:00 pm, and Monday May 30th from 9:00 am-5:00 pm, the Thunder Alley event will take place. The following street closures will be in effect from 8:00 am Friday May 27th until 5:00 pm Monday May 30th.
- 22nd Street, NW between Constitution Ave and C Street .
On Sunday, May 29, 2011 the annual Rolling Thunder Rally will take place. The event will begin at approximately 11:30 am and will conclude at approximately 4:00 pm. The motorcycle ride will proceed along the following route:
- Beginning in the North Pentagon parking lot
- Crossing the Memorial Bridge to 23rd Street NW , DC
- North on 23rd St. to Constitution Ave.
- East on Constitution Ave. to Pennsylvania Ave.
- East on Pennsylvania Ave to 3rd St
- South on 3rd St to Independence Ave
- West on Independence Ave to West Basin Dr .
- Southwest on West Basin Dr. to Ohio Dr
- Northwest on Ohio Dr. to Franklin D. Roosevelt Park where the ride will end.
On Monday, May 30th, 2011, Saint Ex will be hosting a Memorial Day cook-out. The event will begin at 11:00 am and end at 5:00 pm. The following Street will be closed from 7:00 am until 8:00 pm.
- T Street, NW from 13th to 14th Streets
On Monday, May 30th, 2011, the National Memorial Day Parade will take place from 2:00 pm until 5:00 pm. The streets along the following route will be closed from 5:00 am until 7:00 pm.
- Starting from7th Street & Madison Drive ending at 17th Street & Constitution Ave, NW
- Also closed: 7th Street from Constitution Ave to Independence Ave, NW
Motorists traveling in the area of both of these events may encounter traffic delays and heavy pedestrian traffic due to the extended road closures. In addition to the roads listed above, many roads leading to these processional routes may be closed as well. Please use extreme caution when driving in these areas.
All street closures and listed times are subject to change based upon prevailing or unexpected conditions. ##
Preventing terrorism is everybody’s business.
If you SEE something, SAY something.
Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@... to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.
Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.
To learn more, visit http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.