Re: mini motorcycles/mini scooters

  • Sonya Harway
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
      I can certainly understand not wanting (or being permitted) to chase
      someone just for riding on the sidewalk and causing minor trouble
      for pedestrians, but I am very concerned when I see them riding
      around with young neighborhood kids on the bikes-- they go MUCH too
      quickly for that to be safe (and I'm sure I don't have to mention
      thar they don't wear helmets nor provide them for the children). I
      have alerted 311 sometimes when I see the problem-bikers in our
      neighborhood hanging around outside the apt. buildings at the 2500
      block of 10th St., but it still doesn't seem to help, as I heard
      them out again yesterday evening speeding through the alley.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Craig, Donald \(MPD\)"
      <Donald.Craig@d...> wrote:
      > The department's chase policy is very strict. We can only chase a
      motor vehicle only if we have reason to believe the driver or one of
      the occupants has committed an extremely dangerous felony like a
      homicide or a shooting or stabbing. The policy also states that
      even in these instances, chases are only authorized if the
      conditions are safe. So in this case, since the violations are for
      traffic only, the department's chase policy will not allow us to
      chase these guys if they don't want to stop. All we can do is give
      a description of the subject and the motor bike and hopefully they
      park it somewhere where we can find it. Also there' s a safety
      factor involved. There could be injury to the person on the bike as
      well as any pedestrians that might get in his or her way while they
      are fleeing. If we do chase them for any length of time then an
      investigation is done and if the officers are in violation of the
      policy, then the officers will be disciplined.

      > Lt. Craig
      >

      > ________________________________

      young men in Truxton Circle who seem to take great delight in
      circling around and around the neighborhood, weaving between the
      street and sidewalk on these things, creating a pedestrian and
      traffic hazard. I've tried calling 311 too, but understandably this
      kind of call gets a low priority for dispatching officers. So when a
      police car has responded it's usually 20-30 minutes later, and by
      then the person is gone. They seem to know how much time they can
      get away with before an officer arrives.

      > I wonder, if these things do violate a sound ordinance, would that
      make it easier for officers to do something? (Because their hands
      wouldn't be tied if they didn't actually witness the guy riding the
      bike on the sidewalk?)
      > --Jennifer
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • k_fw
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
        Lt. Craig,

        Thanks for responding. I understand there us a no-chase law, but the
        law does make law enforcement seem ridiculous when mini-motorcyclists
        drive around and follow a police car!

        That was the scene I witnessed last night after an officer responded
        to my 311 call. The officer simply drove away and parked down the
        street.

        I would like you to elaborate, however, on the legality of the mini-
        motorcycles. Are the drivers violating a law? Do these 49cc mini-
        bikes need to be registered, insured, and tagged in the District of
        Columbia? If an officer successfully pulls one of the drivers over,
        can his bike be impounded?

        Unfortunately, we heard from the mini-motorcycle drivers last night
        that the policeman told them they didn't need to get the vehicles
        tagged. Is that indeed the law?

        Thank you.
      • Darth kir
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
          A 49 cc mini motor cycles is well below the need to
          register. I'm not positive however I think the limit
          is 100cc before it must be registered.

          My personal feelings are to let the kids have fun and
          if they are teens let the teens have fun with the
          things. It will be a popular toy for one, two, maybe
          even three seasons then something else will be
          popular. They will ride them and ride them and soon
          they will be inoperable. I use to hear the same type
          of complaints about big wheels (they make too much
          noise, kids are racing up and down the sidewalk) let
          they kids have fun.

          Next time try asking them if it's fun to ride or
          something like that. They will probable respect your
          right of way on the sidewalk next time. Thats the
          nature of a kid.

          __________________________________
          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
        • k_fw
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
            Hi Darth,

            That is an interesting analogy between the Big Wheels and mini-motorcycles.

            Although the differences between riding "toys" on the sidewalk are slight, they
            are still important.

            A Big Wheel is often operated by 5- to 10-year-old children who can obtain a
            maximum speed of approximately 10 mph, if the child is very athletic and
            hopped up on Hi-C.

            A mini-motorcycle, on the other hand, is frequently operated by a 20- to 30-
            year-old man who can obtain a maximum speed (given the size of the engine)
            of 45 mph. Though I will admit, this maximum speed is rarely achieved while
            the operator cradles his cargo from the liquor store.

            These differences don't always hold true, just what I witness on pleasant days
            on the sidewalk in front of my house.

          • scott_pointer
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
              And the irony is that they will break into our homes to steal the
              money to buy these things to drive us crazy!

              'Pocket bikes' drive new debate and laws
              By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY
              Tiny motorcycles have become a rage among teens - and also a source
              of rage for communities across the USA that are banning or
              restricting their use.
              "Pocket bikes," or "mini motos," usually 15-18 inches high and
              capable of going 35 mph, have joined motorized skateboards and
              scooters on the danger list in many states, towns and cities that
              consider them a speedy nuisance.
              In recent weeks:
              • Arlington Heights, Ill., gave preliminary approval to an ordinance
              that would ban motorized scooters and skateboards. Police in the
              village of 77,000 northwest of Chicago got 56 complaints about them
              last year, up from 16 in 2002, says Chief Gerald Mourning. "It's
              also a safety issue," he says.
              • The New Hampshire Department of Safety has asked the state
              Legislature to ban motorized scooters and pocket bikes on streets.
              • La Porte, Texas, restricted the use of motorized scooters to
              daylight hours and to streets with posted speed limits under 30 mph
              after two boys lost control of their scooter and were struck and
              injured by a car.
              • Lenexa, Kan., stopped short of banning the devices outright.
              Instead, the City Council voted to allow motorized skateboards on
              sidewalks but banned them on streets. Pocket bikes and other
              motorized vehicles are prohibited on all public property.
              • Monroe, Wash., following the lead of some adjoining communities,
              passed an ordinance restricting operation of motorized scooters to
              those ages 16 and older. The scooters can be used only during
              daylight hours, and riders must wear helmets.
              • Several Arizona communities, including Tempe, Chandler and Mesa,
              have considered banning motorized scooters. Both Phoenix and Tucson
              outlawed them last year.
              Emergency room doctors across the nation treated 10,015 injuries
              connected to motorized gas- or battery-powered scooters from July 1,
              2003, to June 30, 2004, says Patty Davis, spokeswoman for the
              Consumer Product Safety Commission (news - web sites). The
              commission is an independent federal agency charged with protecting
              the public from risk of injury.
              About one-third of those injured were younger than 15, Davis says.
              And since October 1998, she says, 49 motorized-scooter riders have
              died.
              New Hampshire state Rep. John Flanders, a former sheriff's deputy
              and sponsor of his state's proposal, says: "I had a near-collision
              with one of those folks out on the main highway. The kids have no
              fear. The people that are afraid are the people that are driving
              cars. I wouldn't want that on my conscience, hitting a young fellow."