RE: [MPD-5D] mini motorcycles/mini scooters

  • Craig, Donald (MPD)
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8 9:30 AM
      The department's chase policy is very strict. We can only chase a motor vehicle only if we have reason to believe the driver or one of the occupants has committed an extremely dangerous felony like a homicide or a shooting or stabbing. The policy also states that even in these instances, chases are only authorized if the conditions are safe. So in this case, since the violations are for traffic only, the department's chase policy will not allow us to chase these guys if they don't want to stop. All we can do is give a description of the subject and the motor bike and hopefully they park it somewhere where we can find it. Also there' s a safety factor involved. There could be injury to the person on the bike as well as any pedestrians that might get in his or her way while they are fleeing. If we do chase them for any length of time then an investigation is done and if the officers are in violation of the policy, then the officers will be disciplined.

      Lt. Craig

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8 10:39 AM
        I can certainly understand not wanting (or being permitted) to chase
        someone just for riding on the sidewalk and causing minor trouble
        for pedestrians, but I am very concerned when I see them riding
        around with young neighborhood kids on the bikes-- they go MUCH too
        quickly for that to be safe (and I'm sure I don't have to mention
        thar they don't wear helmets nor provide them for the children). I
        have alerted 311 sometimes when I see the problem-bikers in our
        neighborhood hanging around outside the apt. buildings at the 2500
        block of 10th St., but it still doesn't seem to help, as I heard
        them out again yesterday evening speeding through the alley.

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Craig, Donald \(MPD\)"
        <Donald.Craig@d...> wrote:
        > The department's chase policy is very strict. We can only chase a
        motor vehicle only if we have reason to believe the driver or one of
        the occupants has committed an extremely dangerous felony like a
        homicide or a shooting or stabbing. The policy also states that
        even in these instances, chases are only authorized if the
        conditions are safe. So in this case, since the violations are for
        traffic only, the department's chase policy will not allow us to
        chase these guys if they don't want to stop. All we can do is give
        a description of the subject and the motor bike and hopefully they
        park it somewhere where we can find it. Also there' s a safety
        factor involved. There could be injury to the person on the bike as
        well as any pedestrians that might get in his or her way while they
        are fleeing. If we do chase them for any length of time then an
        investigation is done and if the officers are in violation of the
        policy, then the officers will be disciplined.

        > Lt. Craig
        >

        > ________________________________

      • k_fw
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8 12:12 PM
          Lt. Craig,

          Thanks for responding. I understand there us a no-chase law, but the
          law does make law enforcement seem ridiculous when mini-motorcyclists
          drive around and follow a police car!

          That was the scene I witnessed last night after an officer responded
          to my 311 call. The officer simply drove away and parked down the
          street.

          I would like you to elaborate, however, on the legality of the mini-
          motorcycles. Are the drivers violating a law? Do these 49cc mini-
          bikes need to be registered, insured, and tagged in the District of
          Columbia? If an officer successfully pulls one of the drivers over,
          can his bike be impounded?

          Unfortunately, we heard from the mini-motorcycle drivers last night
          that the policeman told them they didn't need to get the vehicles
          tagged. Is that indeed the law?

          Thank you.
        • Darth kir
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8 1:42 PM
            A 49 cc mini motor cycles is well below the need to
            register. I'm not positive however I think the limit
            is 100cc before it must be registered.

            My personal feelings are to let the kids have fun and
            if they are teens let the teens have fun with the
            things. It will be a popular toy for one, two, maybe
            even three seasons then something else will be
            popular. They will ride them and ride them and soon
            they will be inoperable. I use to hear the same type
            of complaints about big wheels (they make too much
            noise, kids are racing up and down the sidewalk) let
            they kids have fun.

            Next time try asking them if it's fun to ride or
            something like that. They will probable respect your
            right of way on the sidewalk next time. Thats the
            nature of a kid.

            __________________________________
            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • k_fw
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8 5:30 PM
              Hi Darth,

              That is an interesting analogy between the Big Wheels and mini-motorcycles.

              Although the differences between riding "toys" on the sidewalk are slight, they
              are still important.

              A Big Wheel is often operated by 5- to 10-year-old children who can obtain a
              maximum speed of approximately 10 mph, if the child is very athletic and
              hopped up on Hi-C.

              A mini-motorcycle, on the other hand, is frequently operated by a 20- to 30-
              year-old man who can obtain a maximum speed (given the size of the engine)
              of 45 mph. Though I will admit, this maximum speed is rarely achieved while
              the operator cradles his cargo from the liquor store.

              These differences don't always hold true, just what I witness on pleasant days
              on the sidewalk in front of my house.

            • scott_pointer
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16 5:18 AM
                And the irony is that they will break into our homes to steal the
                money to buy these things to drive us crazy!

                'Pocket bikes' drive new debate and laws
                By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY
                Tiny motorcycles have become a rage among teens - and also a source
                of rage for communities across the USA that are banning or
                restricting their use.
                "Pocket bikes," or "mini motos," usually 15-18 inches high and
                capable of going 35 mph, have joined motorized skateboards and
                scooters on the danger list in many states, towns and cities that
                consider them a speedy nuisance.
                In recent weeks:
                • Arlington Heights, Ill., gave preliminary approval to an ordinance
                that would ban motorized scooters and skateboards. Police in the
                village of 77,000 northwest of Chicago got 56 complaints about them
                last year, up from 16 in 2002, says Chief Gerald Mourning. "It's
                also a safety issue," he says.
                • The New Hampshire Department of Safety has asked the state
                Legislature to ban motorized scooters and pocket bikes on streets.
                • La Porte, Texas, restricted the use of motorized scooters to
                daylight hours and to streets with posted speed limits under 30 mph
                after two boys lost control of their scooter and were struck and
                injured by a car.
                • Lenexa, Kan., stopped short of banning the devices outright.
                Instead, the City Council voted to allow motorized skateboards on
                sidewalks but banned them on streets. Pocket bikes and other
                motorized vehicles are prohibited on all public property.
                • Monroe, Wash., following the lead of some adjoining communities,
                passed an ordinance restricting operation of motorized scooters to
                those ages 16 and older. The scooters can be used only during
                daylight hours, and riders must wear helmets.
                • Several Arizona communities, including Tempe, Chandler and Mesa,
                have considered banning motorized scooters. Both Phoenix and Tucson
                outlawed them last year.
                Emergency room doctors across the nation treated 10,015 injuries
                connected to motorized gas- or battery-powered scooters from July 1,
                2003, to June 30, 2004, says Patty Davis, spokeswoman for the
                Consumer Product Safety Commission (news - web sites). The
                commission is an independent federal agency charged with protecting
                the public from risk of injury.
                About one-third of those injured were younger than 15, Davis says.
                And since October 1998, she says, 49 motorized-scooter riders have
                died.
                New Hampshire state Rep. John Flanders, a former sheriff's deputy
                and sponsor of his state's proposal, says: "I had a near-collision
                with one of those folks out on the main highway. The kids have no
                fear. The people that are afraid are the people that are driving
                cars. I wouldn't want that on my conscience, hitting a young fellow."