RE: [MPD-5D] RE: gun violence around the 4th and Rhode Island NE intersection

    Message 1 of 15 , May 4, 2011
      I would suggest you talk to the owner and manager of the business, and bring your concerns to them.  Are they able to have people wait inside as they wait for their food?

      If you SEE something, SAY something.

      From: tim clark <theboyzup@...>
      Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 07:27:30
      To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>; Lanier, Cathy \(MPD\)<cathy.lanier@...>; Thomas, Harry \(COUNCIL\)<HThomas@...>
      Cc: mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com<mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>; eckington@yahoogroups.com<eckington@yahoogroups.com>

      Commander Solberg,

      Thanks for your response. I'm glad the officers were able to arrest the suspects
      immediately. This area has for many years been a hot spot for drug sales,
      loitering, prostitution and other illegal activities. I'm not sure the light
      tower goes far enough in tackling the immense amount of illegal activity that
      takes place in this area on a daily basis. This issue has to be tackled in a
      much more aggressive approach in order to successfully weed out the problems.
      Many of the violators have become use to the light tower and have found ways to
      allude the sitting squad cars and continue their criminal activity.

      I'll be in contact with you and Chief Lanier to discuss possible solutions to
      cleaning up this corridor. As always, I appreciate the hard work and dedication
      of your officers to keep our community safe.

      Regards,
      Tim Clark
      Commissioner, 5C05

      ________________________________
      From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
      To: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)"
      <cathy.lanier@...>; "Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL)" <HThomas@...>
      Message 2 of 15 , May 4, 2011
        could police be assigned to patrol that store? or a camera installed so that those who are committing crime will know they are being watched?  if we are certain, or at least have reason to believe that the people loitering outside of the pizza mart are criminals, can the police search those who are suspected of crime for drugs, unregistered firearms, etc?

        i know we don't have loitering laws, but we do have curfews, could we have stricter enforcement of curfew laws?

        From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
        To: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)"

        --
        kimberly

        a resident of dc and taxed without representation.

         *       *        *
        -----------------
        -----------------

      • eckingtonwashdc@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 15 , May 4, 2011
          Summit Place & U street NE

          Commander Solberg, Chief Lanier,

          To add, I'm just not seeing the police presence with the high crime commencing in this immediate area.  At the 2000 block of Summit Place & 100 block of U street NE (intersection), I've been calling for police to come through and check and clear out drug sellers, loiterings all weekend, and during weekdays.

          Twice, police cruisers drove right pass a known drug dealer on Summit Place, near the interection of U street NE, very near Yangs Market, in which I gave a very detail description of him to the 911 dispatcher.

          At one point, there were only three (3) guys on the corner, and police did come, got out of their cars, but did not make them leave the corner.

          I know there are civic laws, and so on, but when an area is a serious problem area, and there is no reason that grown guys, men, should be walking up and down the block and or loitering on a corner, I still feel the police should have make them move. Which they didn't this time.  Police usually do though.

          But a couple of days a go, I made a call, Monday in fact, of guys standing on the side wall of Yangs Market, and this time, vice showed up, and one young guy ran away and the poilice interrogated the rest and moved them along.

          It's Wednesday, May 4th, and block is still clear!  See, what vice, police and neighborhood interaction can accomplish?  I'm sure it's not going to stay clear for long, but we really must have more police presence.  And Summit Place is only a few blocks from 4th RI ave and Adams Street.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2011
            Commander Solberg,

            The crowds seem to gather on the Adams St. side of Pizza Mart, which is where the walk-up window is. Customers can buy soda, candy, cigarettes etc. there but there is no prepared food (that's on the 4th St. side- which I can't see well from my apartment). There really isn't anywhere to wait other than on that sidewalk.

            I have noticed that when MPD parks one of its vehicles on that sidewalk with the flashers on, the crowds thin considerably! :)

            I'm sure the owners intend it to be a convenience, but the walk-up window is nearly as great a neighborhood nuisance as a vacant lot would be. Regardless, that business is a part of the community & has an interest in safety as well as in profit. What other opportunities are there to work together on this?

            (Ideally the whole lot Pizza Mart is on would get sold and redeveloped, but I wanted a pony when I was little and I never got that either....)

            Amy
            (she of the stray bullet through the window from a few weeks back)

            From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
            To: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)"

            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2011
              Dear Commander Solberg, thank you for the prompt response and congratulations on the swift arrests. The community is ready to work however we can to get these criminals behind bars.

              I urge CM Thomas to also do what he needs to do, via legislation, to curb these people with too many idle hours on their hands from interrupting communities, and wreaking havoc on the lives of innocent bystanders.

              In my opinion D.C. is entirely way overdue for some type of anti-loitering legislation to get these people off street corners, and wherever it is they belong... Perhaps social programs need to be focused on and re-vamped - limiting dependency on government assistance to a predefined time span would certainly prevent a lot of folks from taking up a life of leisure supplementing their assistance checks with drug sales, prostitution, etc... Whatever it is, that will prevent this volcano from erupting, now is the time because this area is quickly digressing from a liveable community with random bullets penetrating windows, gunshots every couple of nights, etc.

              We appreciate your assistance, and I realized after sending my original email that I was remiss in thanking MPD for your continued dedication. Be safe out there.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2011
                  The monthly PSA meetings are a great tool for residents to discuss solutions like the ones you suggested, with MPD and other residents. The PSA 501 meetings are the 3rd Wednesday of every month and for the months of May, June and July, they have been moved to the Edgewood Recreation center.

                  The information provided at these monthly meetings can go a long way in decreasing crime if just a few more residents attended. A group of residents leaving a meeting with MPD also serves as a visible deterrent to criminals.

                  Commander Solberg, could you arrange for one of your officers to give a presentation on starting neighborhood watch programs at this month's meeting? I think this would be a good starting point for residents looking for more ways to help decrease crime in our communities hot spots.

                  Tim Clark
                  Commissioner, 5C05

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 5, 2011
                    Thanks for your comments. I encourage you to continue to call the police, even if we are not always able to have an instant impact.

                    You're correct that people are free to come and go as they please, but we also have the ability to stop and talk with them to figure out what they are up to, whether they are on the corner or standing outside a store.

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 5, 2011
                      There's not a lot we can do if they are waiting to buy stuff from the store.

                      Andy Solberg

                      From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
                      To: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)"

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 5, 2011
                        Thanks very much, Steven. It's great to get such positive feedback.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 5, 2011

                          Yes, we’re in the process of arranging this, Mr. Clark.