RE: gun violence around the 4th and Rhode Island NE intersection

    Message 1 of 15 , May 4 6:53 AM
      Steven,

      In last night's incident, two men got into a dispute with an area resident and fired shots into a house. Both men were arrested.

      We have been sending the light tower up to the 3rd and Adams St. area in recent weeks and will continue to do so, and as you know 5D officers have been nearby in each instance of recent gunfire. We are working hard to combat the problem of violence in the area and have made progress and some good arrests.

      There is still work to be done and we are committed to doing it. This is an area of focused attention for us here at 5D due to recent incidents and we will not abandon our efforts to create a peaceful community.

      Andy Solberg

      Preventing terrorism is everybody's business.
      If you SEE something, SAY something.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 4 7:27 AM
        Commander Solberg,

        Thanks for your response. I'm glad the officers were able to arrest the suspects immediately. This area has for many years been a hot spot for drug sales, loitering, prostitution and other illegal activities. I'm not sure the light tower goes far enough in tackling the immense amount of illegal activity that takes place in this area on a daily basis. This issue has to be tackled in a much more aggressive approach in order to successfully weed out the problems. Many of the violators have become use to the light tower and have found ways to allude the sitting squad cars and continue their criminal activity.

        I'll be in contact with you and Chief Lanier to discuss possible solutions to cleaning up this corridor. As always, I appreciate the hard work and dedication of your officers to keep our community safe.

        Regards,
        Tim Clark
        Commissioner, 5C05

        Message 3 of 15 , May 4 7:57 AM

          Thank you, Mr. Clark.

        • carrierlacy@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4 8:26 AM
            Mr. Clark and Commander Solberg,

            Many members of the community would agree that the Pizza Mart, located at 4th and Adams St NE contributes to the increased loitering and violence in the area. Upon arriving home around 9:00pm last night there were at least 9-10 young men just hanging out in front of the establishment. One of those young men, wearing a sling on his arm, is known to sell drugs in the neighborhood and frequently sits on the stone wall with his friends at 3rd and Adams St. What can we do as a community to get Pizza Mart to close up shop at a reasonable hour? Why do we continue to tolerate a 24 hour business that caters to criminals?

            I will no longer walk my dog in the neighborhood after experiencing gunshots within a block of my walk a few weeks ago. Furthermore, I did not feel comfortable getting out of my car to go into my home last night for fear that something was about to "jump off". Sure enough, 45 minutes later...gunshots were heard in the area.

            What's most sad is I am a federal law enforcement officer and I am not easily intimidated. However, as I am unable to carry my duty weapon when I am off duty, I have no way of protecting myself other than to be very observant of everyone around me.

            Any thoughts on what we can do as a community to get Pizza Mart to change their hours would be appreciated.

            From: tim clark <theboyzup@...>
            Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 07:27:30
            To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>; Lanier, Cathy \(MPD\)<cathy.lanier@...>; Thomas, Harry \(COUNCIL\)<HThomas@...>
            Cc: mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com<mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>; eckington@yahoogroups.com<eckington@yahoogroups.com>

            ________________________________
            From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
            To: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)"
            <cathy.lanier@...>; "Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL)" <HThomas@...>
            In last night's incident, two men got into a dispute with an area resident and
            fired shots into a house. Both men were arrested.

            We have been sending the light tower up to the 3rd and Adams St. area in recent
            weeks and will continue to do so, and as you know 5D officers have been nearby
            in each instance of recent gunfire. We are working hard to combat the problem
            of violence in the area and have made progress and some good arrests.

            There is still work to be done and we are committed to doing it. This is an
            area of focused attention for us here at 5D due to recent incidents and we will
            not abandon our efforts to create a peaceful community.

            Andy Solberg

            Preventing terrorism is everybody's business.
            If you SEE something, SAY something.
            Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@...
            to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 4 10:14 AM
              I would suggest you talk to the owner and manager of the business, and bring your concerns to them.  Are they able to have people wait inside as they wait for their food?

              From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
              To: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)"

              Message 6 of 15 , May 4 12:17 PM
                could police be assigned to patrol that store? or a camera installed so that those who are committing crime will know they are being watched?  if we are certain, or at least have reason to believe that the people loitering outside of the pizza mart are criminals, can the police search those who are suspected of crime for drugs, unregistered firearms, etc?

                i know we don't have loitering laws, but we do have curfews, could we have stricter enforcement of curfew laws?

                From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
                To: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)"

                --
                kimberly

                a resident of dc and taxed without representation.

                 *       *        *
                -----------------
                -----------------

              • eckingtonwashdc@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4 12:52 PM
                  Summit Place & U street NE

                  Commander Solberg, Chief Lanier,

                  To add, I'm just not seeing the police presence with the high crime commencing in this immediate area.  At the 2000 block of Summit Place & 100 block of U street NE (intersection), I've been calling for police to come through and check and clear out drug sellers, loiterings all weekend, and during weekdays.

                  Twice, police cruisers drove right pass a known drug dealer on Summit Place, near the interection of U street NE, very near Yangs Market, in which I gave a very detail description of him to the 911 dispatcher.

                  At one point, there were only three (3) guys on the corner, and police did come, got out of their cars, but did not make them leave the corner.

                  I know there are civic laws, and so on, but when an area is a serious problem area, and there is no reason that grown guys, men, should be walking up and down the block and or loitering on a corner, I still feel the police should have make them move. Which they didn't this time.  Police usually do though.

                  But a couple of days a go, I made a call, Monday in fact, of guys standing on the side wall of Yangs Market, and this time, vice showed up, and one young guy ran away and the poilice interrogated the rest and moved them along.

                  It's Wednesday, May 4th, and block is still clear!  See, what vice, police and neighborhood interaction can accomplish?  I'm sure it's not going to stay clear for long, but we really must have more police presence.  And Summit Place is only a few blocks from 4th RI ave and Adams Street.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4 1:28 PM
                    Commander Solberg,

                    The crowds seem to gather on the Adams St. side of Pizza Mart, which is where the walk-up window is. Customers can buy soda, candy, cigarettes etc. there but there is no prepared food (that's on the 4th St. side- which I can't see well from my apartment). There really isn't anywhere to wait other than on that sidewalk.

                    I have noticed that when MPD parks one of its vehicles on that sidewalk with the flashers on, the crowds thin considerably! :)

                    I'm sure the owners intend it to be a convenience, but the walk-up window is nearly as great a neighborhood nuisance as a vacant lot would be. Regardless, that business is a part of the community & has an interest in safety as well as in profit. What other opportunities are there to work together on this?

                    (Ideally the whole lot Pizza Mart is on would get sold and redeveloped, but I wanted a pony when I was little and I never got that either....)

                    Amy
                    (she of the stray bullet through the window from a few weeks back)

                    From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
                    To: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)"

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4 4:56 PM
                      Dear Commander Solberg, thank you for the prompt response and congratulations on the swift arrests. The community is ready to work however we can to get these criminals behind bars.

                      I urge CM Thomas to also do what he needs to do, via legislation, to curb these people with too many idle hours on their hands from interrupting communities, and wreaking havoc on the lives of innocent bystanders.

                      In my opinion D.C. is entirely way overdue for some type of anti-loitering legislation to get these people off street corners, and wherever it is they belong... Perhaps social programs need to be focused on and re-vamped - limiting dependency on government assistance to a predefined time span would certainly prevent a lot of folks from taking up a life of leisure supplementing their assistance checks with drug sales, prostitution, etc... Whatever it is, that will prevent this volcano from erupting, now is the time because this area is quickly digressing from a liveable community with random bullets penetrating windows, gunshots every couple of nights, etc.

                      We appreciate your assistance, and I realized after sending my original email that I was remiss in thanking MPD for your continued dedication. Be safe out there.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 4 9:36 PM
                          The monthly PSA meetings are a great tool for residents to discuss solutions like the ones you suggested, with MPD and other residents. The PSA 501 meetings are the 3rd Wednesday of every month and for the months of May, June and July, they have been moved to the Edgewood Recreation center.

                          The information provided at these monthly meetings can go a long way in decreasing crime if just a few more residents attended. A group of residents leaving a meeting with MPD also serves as a visible deterrent to criminals.

                          Commander Solberg, could you arrange for one of your officers to give a presentation on starting neighborhood watch programs at this month's meeting? I think this would be a good starting point for residents looking for more ways to help decrease crime in our communities hot spots.

                          Tim Clark
                          Commissioner, 5C05

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 5 3:58 AM
                            Thanks for your comments. I encourage you to continue to call the police, even if we are not always able to have an instant impact.

                            You're correct that people are free to come and go as they please, but we also have the ability to stop and talk with them to figure out what they are up to, whether they are on the corner or standing outside a store.

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 5 3:59 AM
                              There's not a lot we can do if they are waiting to buy stuff from the store.

                              Andy Solberg

                              From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
                              To: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>; "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)"

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 5 4:01 AM
                                Thanks very much, Steven. It's great to get such positive feedback.

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 5 12:46 PM

                                  Yes, we’re in the process of arranging this, Mr. Clark.