Is data available on where exactly criminals live?

  • Dc Guy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2011
      Hi there,

      Please let me start by saying how happy I am to have found this group.  It's comforting to see that there is so much cooperation going on between citizens and law enforcement.  I greatly appreciate the time and effort it takes for our police to respond to all of these postings.

      With that... I have some questions related to crime data.  I've scoured the internet, including the DC DPS website, to see if I can learn where the perpetrators of crime in my neighborhood (Bloomingdale/Ledroit) come from/live.  I've used the crime map to get a breakdown of various crimes within a 1500 radius of my house over the course of a year.  However, I find that information only marginally useful.  To understand why the crime is taking place and how to prevent it, I think we need to know whether the people committing it live in the neighborhood or are coming from someplace else.  If they are coming from someplace else, are there a few particular places?

      I'm not suggesting in any way that citizens go and confront these people.  Rather, I don't see how crime can be fought effectively without understanding its source.  Whenever I read about about someone being arrested or convicted of a crime, the notice simply says, "John Smith of NW," which could mean John came to Bloomingdale from Mt. Vernon Square or Cleveland Park.  What good is that?  If multiple criminals committing crimes in Bloomingdale all reside in a few blocks of each other in one part of the city, shouldn't we know that?

      Perhaps knowing the addresses of the criminals would show no pattern.  On the other hand, it may show a definite pattern.

      Is there anything like the sex offender database for non-sex offender crimes?
      Is there a simple way to see where people arrested for or convicted of a crime reside?

      Thank you!
    • caj2020
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2011
        Hi, please pardon my delayed response, but I'm just now seeing your post. I track criminal cases in Ward 1 (MPD 3D). A few years ago, home addresses of arrestees were part of the MPD arrest report (just the block, for example, "2300 14th St NW"). I think the information is public and can be requested from MPD, but I'm not sure.

        There are a couple of other ways I know of to find home addresses:

        * If the arrestee is a registered voter, you can get a list for all of DC from the DCBOEE. The list, on a CD, is publicly available for a small fee.

        * It's possible to find home addresses in Maryland's Online Judiciary Case Search: http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiry-index.jsp

        These two methods will only work if the arrestee is either registered to vote in DC, or has a criminal history in Maryland.

        I don't know whether or not MPD does any type of analysis based on home addresses of defendants. If they don't, they should.

        Please let me know if I can help you find any other case information. I've been at this for a couple of years, and I know where to find a lot of things.

        Cecilia

        --
        Cecilia Jones
        President, Northwest Columbia Heights Community Association (NWCHCA)

        "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." --Mahatma Gandhi
        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Dc Guy <muzindc@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > Please let me start by saying how happy I am to have found this group.  It's comforting to see that there is so much cooperation going on between citizens and law enforcement.  I greatly appreciate the time and effort it takes for our police to respond to all of these postings.
        >
        > With that... I have some questions related to crime data.  I've scoured the internet, including the DC DPS website, to see if I can learn where the perpetrators of crime in my neighborhood (Bloomingdale/Ledroit) come from/live.  I've used the crime map to get a breakdown of various crimes within a 1500 radius of my house over the course of a year.  However, I find that information only marginally useful.  To understand why the crime is taking place and how to prevent it, I think we need to know whether the people committing it live in the neighborhood or are coming from someplace else.  If they are coming from someplace else, are there a few particular places?
        >

        > I'm not suggesting in any way that citizens go and confront these people.  Rather, I don't see how crime can be fought effectively without understanding its source.  Whenever I read about about someone being arrested or convicted of a crime, the notice simply says, "John Smith of NW," which could mean John came to Bloomingdale from Mt. Vernon Square or Cleveland Park.  What good is that?  If multiple criminals committing crimes in Bloomingdale all reside in a few blocks of each other in one part of the city, shouldn't we know that?
        >

        > Perhaps knowing the addresses of the criminals would show no pattern.  On the other hand, it may show a definite pattern.
        >

        > Is there anything like the sex offender database for non-sex offender crimes?
        > Is there a simple way to see where people arrested for or convicted of a crime reside?
        >
        > Thank you!

      • Dc Guy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2011
          Hi Cecilia,