dc gun laws

  • Tobias Kienle
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
      Here is a good summary of DC gun laws:

      http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=DC

      Yes, you have to register long guns, but at least you
      have the option. I would recommend a shotgun for home
      defense. If you are worried about recoil, get a 410
      gauge. It will be plenty for in-home defense, but is
      still manageable. There are some quasi-assault rifles
      which are legal, but I'm not going to get into that
      here. The main thing is that you either have to have
      it disassembled (yeah, right) or have a trigger lock
      on it while stored. You can email me for more
      advice/info on the process, since I've been through
      it. The MPD officers in the firearms division are
      really cool & helplful, so its not as dreaded or
      impossible a process as you may have heard.

      Here is the link to the complete code:

      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:rBAJs1e78G0J:www.vpc.org/graphics/DC.pdf+washington+dc+gun+laws+barrel+length&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • John Galt
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2006
        what does it mean when it says therefore, protecting your home with a firearm is precluded?  What are the penalties for discharging a longgun in the district to protect your home?

        Tobias Kienle <tfkienle@...> wrote:
[...]

        Please visit www.eckingtonblog.blogspot.com

        Yahoo! Mail

      • Tobias Kienle
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2006
          John wrote:

          > From: John Galt <johngalt332002@...>
          > Subject: Re: dc gun laws
          >
          > what does it mean when it says therefore, protecting
          > your home with a firearm is precluded? What are the
          > penalties for discharging a longgun in the district
          > to protect your home?

          I assume you're referring to this paragraph:

          "All firearms must be unloaded and disassembled or
          locked with a trigger lock except when kept at a
          registrant`s place of business or while being used for
          lawful "recreational" purposes."

          ...which is followed by the "precluded" part. That
          threw me at first, but keep in mind, that is an NRA
          site, & that comment is their opinion. If you read
          closely, you'll see what I mentioned in my original
          email: you either have to have it disassembled
          ...OR...trigger locked. The NRA is saying that either
          of those conditions would keep you from being able to
          use it in a hurry at home (businesses are exempt from
          that requirement). I would agree that a disassembled
          gun would be useless, but not one with a trigger lock.
          Those only take a few seconds to pop off.

          As for penalties, I wouldn't worry about that. If you
          use it in self-defense, which is legal, you're fine as
          long as you didn't have an easy escape you could have
          tried, & you felt you or other persons in the house
          were in mortal danger.

          Hope that clears it up!

          http://mail.yahoo.com