Re: [MPD-5D] Tires Slashed on 1900 Block of H St NE

  • Deonica Henderson
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2011
      Many people dont know about the lit serve and it is best to call 911 when you see people loitering and put your area on special attention for more frequent patrols i assure you it works give it a try

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 2, 2011
        You can assure me all you want, it doesn't change the fact that of the last six times I've called 911 to ask for a patrol car to at least drive by, there has only been a response once. Thanks for the encouragement, though.

        On Apr 2, 2011, at 6:13 PM, Deonica Henderson wrote:

        Many people dont know about the lit serve and it is best to call 911 when you see people loitering and put your area on special attention for more frequent patrols i assure you it works give it a try

        No I have not. Calling 911 has been a fool's errand the last two years. I'm hoping this will make more of an impact since my neighbors will see it and hopefully support it.

        - Sent from my iPhone. Please pardon any spelling mistakes as they are probably caused by the autocorrect!!

        On Apr 2, 2011, at 17:05, Deonica Henderson <deeonica@...> wrote:

        Hello did you call the 5th district and put the area on special attention for more frequent patrols and also call 911 to report people loitering or making too much noise

        On Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 3:37 PM EDT aRodeoJock wrote:

        >Godo afternoon all,
        >
        >Just wanted to alert MPD that the tires on my car were slashed last night on the 1900 block of H St NE. There have been more and more incidents of teens on our block at all hours drinking, yelling, and fighting late into the night. Now that they are starting to target residents' cars, I'd like to request that more patrols drive through regularly since there is rarely a response from calling 911.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Patrick
        >1900 Block of H St NE

      • Debbie (Smith) Steiner
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 2, 2011
          This listserve is monitored by our MPD 5D. It is not the norm that someone from 5D has not responded yet about this issue.

          On Apr 2, 2011 6:13 PM, Deonica Henderson <deeonica@...> wrote:

          Many people dont know about the lit serve and it is best to call 911 when you see people loitering and put your area on special attention for more frequent patrols i assure you it works give it a try

          No I have not. Calling 911 has been a fool's errand the last two years. I'm hoping this will make more of an impact since my neighbors will see it and hopefully support it.

          - Sent from my iPhone. Please pardon any spelling mistakes as they are probably caused by the autocorrect!!

          On Apr 2, 2011, at 17:05, Deonica Henderson <deeonica@...> wrote:

          Hello did you call the 5th district and put the area on special attention for more frequent patrols and also call 911 to report people loitering or making too much noise

          On Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 3:37 PM EDT aRodeoJock wrote:

          >Godo afternoon all,
          >
          >Just wanted to alert MPD that the tires on my car were slashed last night on the 1900 block of H St NE. There have been more and more incidents of teens on our block at all hours drinking, yelling, and fighting late into the night. Now that they are starting to target residents' cars, I'd like to request that more patrols drive through regularly since there is rarely a response from calling 911.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Patrick
          >1900 Block of H St NE

        • Thomas, Carl D. (EOM)
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2011
            Ms. Steiner has a fine point. This listserv is not only monitored by MPD, but by the Commander of the 5th district and the Chief.

            In addition, several government and elected officials are members and monitor this and other online groups to ensure that our citizens are having their needs met. I, myself, monitor 14 other listservs daily.

            If a citizen has an issue that reaches the level of severity, which causes the Executive Office of the Mayor to intervene, I do so. The best way to respond to anything which occurs outside of what is considered normal is to follow the city's protocol. While the process does have a hang up or two from time to time, in general, most services exceed expectations.

            If you didn't receive a service from a govt agency appropriately, call 311. You will receive a tracking number and can find out what has been or will be done to address your issue and when. Additionally, the city is able to track its own performance. The same with 911. If you call for each instance, they, at least, will be aware that certain types of crimes are occurring in your area. If we don't call, it would appear that there is no crime at all in that area.

            We all have to help our city to grow into our lofty expectations of it.

            Carl Thomas
            Mayor's Office of Community Relations and Services
            Ward 5 Community Liaison
            202-340-7141
            Carl.Thomas@...

            ________________________________

            On Apr 2, 2011, at 17:05, Deonica Henderson <deeonica@...<http://us.mc394.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=deeonica@...>> wrote:

            Hello did you call the 5th district and put the area on special attention for more frequent patrols and also call 911 to report people loitering or making too much noise

            On Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 3:37 PM EDT aRodeoJock wrote:

            >Godo afternoon all,
            >
            >Just wanted to alert MPD that the tires on my car were slashed last night on the 1900 block of H St NE. There have been more and more incidents of teens on our block at all hours drinking, yelling, and fighting late into the night. Now that they are starting to target residents' cars, I'd like to request that more patrols drive through regularly since there is rarely a response from calling 911.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Patrick
            >1900 Block of H St NE
          • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2011
              Well said Carl

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 2, 2011
                I will send out a longer message when a previous email message unfreezes, buit in the interim, I urge all 5D residents to call 911 to report crimes in progress, and please utilize the listserv and any other electronic communications forum, only after you have called 911.

                Andy Solberg

              • khenderson029@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2, 2011
                  This area is within ANC 5B10. Commissioner Henderson and I work very closely with our MPD partners to ensure that our public safety concerns are addressed. I feel confident that our 5D officers will respond and maintain visibilty here.

                  Finally, Patrick we look forward to you attending PSA 504 and 5B10 meetings again. We need to remain vigilant and not allow this area to fall back into the hands of criminals.

                  Kathy Henderson

                  From: aRodeoJock <arodeojock@...>
                  Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 19:12:23 -0400
                  To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                  You can assure me all you want, it doesn't change the fact that of the last six times I've called 911 to ask for a patrol car to at least drive by, there has only been a response once. Thanks for the encouragement, though.

                  On Apr 2, 2011, at 6:13 PM, Deonica Henderson wrote:

                  Many people dont know about the lit serve and it is best to call 911 when you see people loitering and put your area on special attention for more frequent patrols i assure you it works give it a try

                  No I have not. Calling 911 has been a fool's errand the last two years. I'm hoping this will make more of an impact since my neighbors will see it and hopefully support it.

                  - Sent from my iPhone. Please pardon any spelling mistakes as they are probably caused by the autocorrect!!

                  On Apr 2, 2011, at 17:05, Deonica Henderson <deeonica@...> wrote:

                  Hello did you call the 5th district and put the area on special attention for more frequent patrols and also call 911 to report people loitering or making too much noise

                  On Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 3:37 PM EDT aRodeoJock wrote:

                  >Godo afternoon all,
                  >
                  >Just wanted to alert MPD that the tires on my car were slashed last night on the 1900 block of H St NE. There have been more and more incidents of teens on our block at all hours drinking, yelling, and fighting late into the night. Now that they are starting to target residents' cars, I'd like to request that more patrols drive through regularly since there is rarely a response from calling 911.
                  >
                  >Thanks,
                  >
                  >Patrick
                  >1900 Block of H St NE

                • Deonica Henderson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 2, 2011
                    Its good to know that the listservice is very well monitered.However you still need to call the station to put your neighborhood on special attention and to report crimes.

                    On Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 8:53 PM EDT Thomas, Carl D. (EOM) wrote:

                    >Ms. Steiner has a fine point. This listserv is not only monitored by MPD, but by the Commander of the 5th district and the Chief.
                    >
                    >In addition, several government and elected officials are members and monitor this and other online groups to ensure that our citizens are having their needs met. I, myself, monitor 14 other listservs daily.
                    >
                    > If a citizen has an issue that reaches the level of severity, which causes the Executive Office of the Mayor to intervene, I do so. The best way to respond to anything which occurs outside of what is considered normal is to follow the city's protocol. While the process does have a hang up or two from time to time, in general, most services exceed expectations.
                    >
                    >If you didn't receive a service from a govt agency appropriately, call 311. You will receive a tracking number and can find out what has been or will be done to address your issue and when. Additionally, the city is able to track its own performance. The same with 911. If you call for each instance, they, at least, will be aware that certain types of crimes are occurring in your area. If we don't call, it would appear that there is no crime at all in that area.
                    >
                    >We all have to help our city to grow into our lofty expectations of it.
                    >
                    >Carl Thomas
                    >Mayor's Office of Community Relations and Services
                    >Ward 5 Community Liaison
                    >202-340-7141
                    >Carl.Thomas@...
                    >
                    >________________________________

                  • srparker37
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 3, 2011
                      You have got to call 911 each and everytime there is an incident on your block. You see someone hanging out and making a lot of noise, call 911. You see anything that makes you uncomfortable, call 911. If you call the city's 911 dispatchers and the police don't show up, try calling the Fifth District station on Bladensburg Rd. and ask for the watch commander and ask that person why his officers didn't come and clear the block. As it has been explained to me by the police, they base where they patrol on where calls to 911 have been coming in from. If you and your neighbors aren't calling 911 then the police look at stats and everthing looks like your block is doing great. So if your tires got slashed and you didn't call 911, then the police think your block is doing great and they never know what is going on. This listserv is great and bring the attention of problems to a lot of people who may not have access to, but it only works if you can back it up with a call to 911. That is your responsiblity as a citizen of this city

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 3, 2011

                        All,

                        I monitor the 5D listserv, and most of the supervisors here at 5D monitor it also.

                        We are setting up training this week so that any 5D supervisors who are not currently involved with the listserv can become familiar with it.

                        Please realize, however, that messages to the listserv should absolutely not replace calling 911 as your primary mechanism for contacting police to request service.

                        If there is an event taking place as you observe it, you need to call 911.

                        I realize that residents may get frustrated with what they perceive as a lack of response, but we do respond to every call that citizens make.  Our calls get prioritized so that crimes in progress or other emergencies get immediate response, and occasionally this may mean that non-priority calls get dispatched after we have responded to the more important matters.

                        Additionally, if you contact anyone from 5D on a regular basis by email, cell phone, texting, or in any other manner, you need to realize that the person you are in contact with may not be in the best position to assist you in a timely way, and in any case is not authorized to dispatch calls without going through the call center.

                        This means that if you see something going on that needs police attention, call 911 first.  Once you are sure the call taker has gotten all the relevant information from you, you can then make contact with us here at 5D.

                        Thank you,

                        Andy Solberg

                        Commander, 5D

                        <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                        <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>

                        <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                        href="mailto:deeonica%40yahoo.com">deeonica@...<http://us.mc394.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=deeonica@...>> wrote:

                        >Hello did you call the 5th district and put the area on special attention
                        for more frequent patrols and also call 911 to report people loitering or making too much noise

                        >On Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 3:37 PM EDT aRodeoJock wrote:
                        >
                        >>Godo afternoon all,
                        >>
                        >>Just wanted to alert MPD that the tires on my car were slashed last
                        night on the 1900 block of H St NE. There have been more and more incidents of teens on our block at all hours drinking, yelling, and fighting late into the night. Now that they are starting to target residents' cars, I'd like to request that more patrols drive through regularly since there is rarely a response from calling 911.

                        >>Thanks,
                        >>
                        >>Patrick
                        >>1900 Block of H St NE

                      • Debbie (Smith) Steiner

                          <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                          <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>

                          <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 4, 2011

                            Ms. Smith,

                            I am not sure what the ‘communication breakdown” that you refer to is.

                            Andy Solberg

                            Thanks Commander Solberg! Your direction regarding handling immediate crime matters are important and appreciated. I am hopeful that our community will stay the course with assisting our committed law enforcement agency to combat crime. However, I see this as a bigger issue that needs to be address. If we as citizens are to contact the Office of Unified Communications (aka 9-1-1) and, OUC has some type of commnication breakdown between, you, our law enforcement agency, and us the citizens who are looking for action, how do we effectively, handle this matter so that a citizen does not feel as though he or she is being ignored?

                            On Apr 3, 2011 10:38 AM, Solberg, Andrew (MPD) &lt;Andrew.Solberg@...&gt; wrote:

                            &nbsp;

                            All,

                            &nbsp;

                            I monitor the 5D listserv, and most of the
                            supervisors here at 5D monitor it also.

                            &nbsp;

                            We are setting up training this week so
                            that any 5D supervisors who are not currently involved with the listserv can become
                            familiar with it.

                            &nbsp;

                            Please realize, however, that messages to the
                            listserv should absolutely not replace calling 911 as your primary mechanism
                            for contacting police to request service.

                            &nbsp;

                            If there is an event taking place as you
                            observe it, you need to call 911.

                            &nbsp;

                            I realize that residents may get frustrated
                            with what they perceive as a lack of response, but we do respond to every call
                            that citizens make.&nbsp; Our calls get prioritized so that crimes in progress
                            or other emergencies get immediate response, and occasionally this may mean
                            that non-priority calls get dispatched after we have responded to the more
                            important matters.

                            &nbsp;

                            Additionally, if you contact anyone from
                            5D on a regular basis by email, cell phone, texting, or in any other manner,
                            you need to realize that the person you are in contact with may not be in the
                            best position to assist you in a timely way, and in any case is not authorized
                            to dispatch calls without going through the call center.

                            &nbsp;

                            This means that if you see something going
                            on that needs police attention, call 911 first.&nbsp; Once you are sure the call
                            taker has gotten all the relevant information from you, you can then make
                            contact with us here at 5D.

                            &nbsp;

                            Thank you,

                            &nbsp;

                            Andy Solberg

                            Commander, 5D

                            &nbsp;

                            Its good to know that the listservice is very well
                            monitered.However you still need to call the station to put your neighborhood
                            on special attention and to report crimes.

                            On Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 8:53 PM EDT Thomas, Carl D.
                            (EOM) wrote:

                            &gt;Ms. Steiner has a fine point. This listserv is not only monitored by MPD,
                            but by the Commander of the 5th district and the Chief.

                            &gt;

                            &gt;In addition, several government and elected officials are members and
                            monitor this and other online groups to ensure that our citizens are having
                            their needs met. I, myself, monitor 14 other listservs daily.

                            &gt;

                            &gt; If a citizen has an issue that reaches the level of severity, which causes
                            the Executive Office of the Mayor to intervene, I do so. The best way to
                            respond to anything which occurs outside of what is considered normal is to
                            follow the city's protocol. While the process does have a hang up or two from
                            time to time, in general, most services exceed expectations.

                            &gt;

                            &gt;If you didn't receive a service from a govt agency appropriately, call 311.
                            You will receive a tracking number and can find out what has been or will be
                            done to address your issue and when. Additionally, the city is able to track
                            its own performance. The same with 911. If you call for each instance, they, at
                            least, will be aware that certain types of crimes are occurring in your area.
                            If we don't call, it would appear that there is no crime at all in that area.

                            &gt;

                            &gt;We all have to help our city to grow into our lofty expectations of it.

                            &gt;

                            &gt;Carl Thomas

                            &gt;Mayor's Office of Community Relations and Services

                            &gt;Ward 5 Community Liaison

                            &gt;202-340-7141

                            &gt;Carl.Thomas@...

                            &gt;

                            &gt;________________________________

                            &gt;From: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                            &lt;MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com&gt;

                            &gt;To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                            &lt;mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com&gt;

                            &gt;Sent: Sat Apr 02 19:54:13 2011

                            &gt;Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Tires Slashed on 1900 Block of H St NE

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                            &gt;This listserve is monitored by our MPD 5D. It is not the norm that someone
                            from 5D has not responded yet about this issue.

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                            &gt;________________________________

                            &gt;On Apr 2, 2011 6:13 PM, Deonica Henderson &lt;deeonica@...&gt; wrote:

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                            &gt;Many people dont know about the lit serve and it is best to call 911 when
                            you see people loitering and put your area on special attention for more
                            frequent patrols i assure you it works give it a try

                            &gt;

                            &gt;--- On Sat, 4/2/11, aRodeoJock &lt;arodeojock@...&gt;
                            wrote:

                            &gt;

                            &gt;From: aRodeoJock &lt;arodeojock@...&gt;

                            &gt;Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Tires Slashed on 1900 Block of H St NE

                            &gt;To: "MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com"
                            &lt;MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com&gt;

                            &gt;Date: Saturday, April 2, 2011, 5:44 PM

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                            &gt;No I have not. Calling 911 has been a fool's errand the last two years. I'm
                            hoping this will make more of an impact since my neighbors will see it and
                            hopefully support it.

                            &gt;

                            &gt;- Sent from my iPhone. Please pardon any spelling mistakes as they are
                            probably caused by the autocorrect!!

                            &gt;

                            &gt;On Apr 2, 2011, at 17:05, Deonica Henderson &lt;deeonica@...&lt;http://us.mc394.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=deeonica@...&gt;&gt;
                            wrote:

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                            &gt;Hello did you call the 5th district and put the area on special attention
                            for more frequent patrols and also call 911 to report people loitering or
                            making too much noise

                            &gt;

                            &gt;On Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 3:37 PM EDT aRodeoJock wrote:

                            &gt;

                            &gt;&gt;Godo afternoon all,

                            &gt;&gt;

                            &gt;&gt;Just wanted to alert MPD that the tires on my car were slashed last
                            night on the 1900 block of H St
                            NE. There have been more and more incidents of
                            teens on our block at all hours drinking, yelling, and fighting late into the
                            night. Now that they are starting to target residents' cars, I'd like to
                            request that more patrols drive through regularly since there is rarely a
                            response from calling 911.

                            &gt;&gt;

                            &gt;&gt;Thanks,

                            &gt;&gt;

                            &gt;&gt;Patrick

                            &gt;&gt;1900 Block of H St NE

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                            &gt;

                          • Debbie (Smith) Steiner
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 4, 2011
                              The possible communication breakdown - is the information or call for service being properly dispatched.  According to this thread, one could argue that a call is being made to 911 and because the caller has not been responded to or seen action, was the call ever dispatched?

                                wrote:

[...]

                              • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 4, 2011

                                  Commander,

                                  I’d also like to remind the readers that 9-1-1 and 3-1-1 calls are answered by civilian dispatchers, housed at the Office of Unified Communications.  These trained call takers are receiving and dispatching calls for police, fire, ambulance and city services.  When you need police dispatched to an area (emergency or non-emergency, ALWAYS call 9-1-1).  Some people hesitate to dial 9-1-1 if they feel it is not an emergency, but rules have changed and they are designed to save lives.  Sometimes a non-emergency can turn into an emergency.  It is best to follow these instructions and let the dispatcher guide you from there.

                                  Also, members of the new the administration for the Office of Unified Communications (aka OUC/9-1-1 and 3-11 Call Center) are members of all of our police-community YahooGroups.  They will read and respond to postings as needed.

                                  Thank you.

                                  Yvonne Smith

                                  Office of Community Outreach

                                  MPD