Problems on 18th Pl. NE

  • lanciaq
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2006
      I live on 18th Pl. NE on the block behind the Arboretum. The street
      is rife with problems- out of state cars parked for months at a time,
      garbage, Christmas trees, and trash everywhere. The building I live
      in has also been broken into three times this past week. I even came
      home to find a young man trying to get into the apartment. May the
      police patrol this street more often? I have never seen a police
      presence on the block, and the alleys behind the buildings are in such
      a state of disrepair that they are inaccessible, which is also a fire
      issue. I have tried on many occasions to contact Vincent Orange's
      office with no luck. Online service requests to dc.gov have not
      worked. We need to have this street cleaned up- it needs sweeping,
      parking enforcement, a proper turnaround, and new sidewalks. It
      really has become nauseating, thanks.
    • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2006
        Good Afternoon,

        What is your address? I am well aware of the problems in the 1200 block of
        18th Place and have taken a number of steps to clean that block. The
        Department of Public Works cleaned the block, underscoring my request. I
        also requested sanitation enforcement for practically the entire block; most
        of the owners do not have proper trash collection receptacles or pick-up
        service. I also reported all of the abandoned cars and DDOT is developing a
        plan to pave the alleys, shortly. I facilitated a walk-through with City
        Administrator Robert Bobb, the Clean City Coordinator Merrit Drucker and Lt.
        Judith Anderson and Sgt. Gudger.

        We are working diligently to ensure the area does not return to the control
        of drug dealers. That is why enforcement is so important. We must diligently
        remove the trash to send a clear message that we will not tolerate criminal
        enterprises setting up shop in our neighborhoods. Please call me at (202)
        397-2777.

        Sincerely,

        Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5B10