Robberies at Gas Stations

  • Gigi Ransom
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
      I frequently catch a bus home from the H8 bus stop right there on the 10th St side at this gas station.  I've noticed many customers, especially the females leave their cars unlocked when they go to the window to pay and while pumping gas. It is rare that I've noticed people hanging around or panhandling, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I also noticed that there are no cameras which is surprising.  I guess the station owner believes that since his staff is securely locked in, that should be enough.

      Well, this station owner is wrong, and if he doesn't have any cameras or they are not working, he is in violation of the law!  Some of you may rcall back in 2009 when CM Alexander was robbed at a gas station she introduced a bill that was passed called the, "B18-0095, Enhanced Security at Gas Stations Amendment Act of 2009", now A18-0161, which requires station owner to install this equipment and provide to MPD to review if a crime is committed at the location.  They are also required to post warning signs for customers advising to remove your keys from the vehicle; lock all doors; and premises is under surveillance.

      Below my signoff is the text of the Law, and I have also attached, so for those who decide to visit this station and inform the owner of the law, there will be no questions.

      If the list doesn't allow attachments, I will also post this email on the Ward5@yahoogroups.com

      Gigi Ransom

      ENROLLED ORIGINAL

      Codification District of Columbia Official Code, 2001 Edition

      1 West Group Publisher, 1-800-328-9378.

      AN ACT A18-0161

      IN THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

      ____________________

      To amend the Retail Service Station Act of 1976 to provide for increased safety and enhanced

      security by requiring video surveillance at District of Columbia gas stations, and

      warning signs, to require the Metropolitan Police Department to develop a public

      service video announcement to educate consumers as to the potential risks at service

      stations, and to require police officers to review video surveillance footage for crimes

      committed at those service stations.

      BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, That this

      act may be cited as the “Enhanced Security at Gas Stations Amendment Act of 2009”.

      Sec. 2. The Retail Service Station Act of 1976, effective April 19, 1977 (D.C. Law 1-

      123; D.C. Official Code § 36-301.01

      et seq.), is amended by adding a new Title II-A to read as

      follows:

      “TITLE II-A

      “SECURITY AT RETAIL SERVICE STATIONS

      “Sec. 3-121. Security requirements for retail service stations.

      “(a) The operator of a retail service station shall install video surveillance equipment to

      monitor all pumps at the retail service station within 6 months after the effective date of this

      section. The Metropolitan Police Department shall review the surveillance video in the event of

      a crime committed at the station.

      “(b)(1) The operator of a retail service station shall display a warning sign at each pump

      and at the attendant’s duty station that warns:

      “(A) Always remove the keys from a vehicle;

      “(B) Lock all doors when exiting a vehicle; and

      “(C) Premises under surveillance.

      “(2) The measurements for each sign shall exceed 8 inches by 8 inches.

      “(3) The text for each sign shall be in boldface and shall exceed a 36-point font.

      “(4) The text and background for each sign shall be in contrasting colors.

      “Sec. 3-122. Retail service station security public service announcement.

      “Within 90 days after the effective date of this section, the Metropolitan Police

      Department shall produce a public service announcement video which will be available for

      broadcast on the cable television channels allocated to the District government and made

      accessible at the Metropolitan Police Department website warning consumers of the potential

      dangers at retail service stations.”.

      Sec. 3. Fiscal impact statement.

      The Council adopts the fiscal impact statement in the committee report as the fiscal

      impact statement required by section 602(c)(3) of the District of Columbia Home Rule Act,

      approved December 24, 1973 (87 Stat. 813; D.C. Official Code§ 1-206.02(c)(3)).

      Sec. 4. Effective date.

      This act shall take effect following approval by the Mayor (or in the event of veto by the

      Mayor, action by the Council to override the veto), a 30-day period of Congressional review as

      provided in section 602(c)(1)) of the District of Columbia Home Rule Act, approved December

      24, 1973 (87 Stat. 813; D.C. Official Code § 1-206.02(c)(1)), and publication in the District of

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
        @Gigi

        I personally believe if someone wants to rob you, they're going to rob you.  Folks are shooting people in broad daylight.  It is nice if the police have some footage to help catch that person, but don't impose burdens on business owners if you are not going to help pay for it.  If I was a buiness owner I would buy the least expensive video surveillance system there is which equates to a bad resolution and not much for the police to off of.  Is itthe business owners fault that the lady go robbed? No.  The answer is not to make the business owner into a criminal.

         I am sure having a well light street might deter crime., but there is no mandate requiring houses have their porch lights on at light.

        I try to get gas during daylight hours or during my lunch hour at work. If I go to a sketchy gas station, I take someone with me.

        Aisha Hunte

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
          I am glad this legislation presents a viable tool to help protect the public safety at gas stations. Since the Turkey Thicket location is subject to repeat public safety breaches, the owner should be subject to monetary penalties and should be required to install a working camera and the signage. This merchant should not go unchallenged when they are ignoring the legislation and failing to take corrective action to protect the public. I think there is a legitimate basis to assess fines to the establishment and I look forward to a DCRA, OAG and Councilmembers Alexander, Phil Mendelson et al. establishing the process for issuing and collecting the fines. We cannot ignore the serious public safety breach presented here; repeat violations at the same location warrant immediate action.

          Kathy Henderson
        • khenderson029@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
            There are always a handful of individuals that choose to make excuses for criminals and otherwise ignore public safety breaches. This argument sounds like, I know there are people shooting in my neighborhood at night, so I just won't go out at night or perhaps I will move. This type of thinking does nothing to address the problem. Businesses have a responsibility to take reasonable precautions to protect public safety, in accordance with the law. This business has failed to comply with the law and is the site for repeat public safety violations, making them eligible for monetary fines. The DC Government has a responsibility to regulate businesses here and mandate that they take reasonable precautions to protect the public. This business should also explore securing a reimbursable detail to deter the excessive crime on their premises.

            Kathy Henderson
          • Robert Vinson Brannum
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
              Neighbors, as Chairman of the 5th District Citizens Advisory Council, I requested, last week, and received (this morning) from MPD a listing of all of the calls for police service to specific gas stations within Ward 5, as it relates to the types of crimes described below by Erin Hutson. Councilmember Thomas' office and I are coordinating a meeting with gas station owners to discuss measures, in cooperation with MPD, these owners should undertake to provide enhanced safety for their customers. 5DCAC will also keep residents informed.

              Robert

              If the list doesn't allow attachments, I will also post this email on the Ward5@yahoogroups.com <http://us.mc1612.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Ward5@yahoogroups.com>

              & wardfive@... <http://us.mc1612.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=wardfive@...> .

              _____

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
                It is unlikely this meeting will result in the merchant taking corrective action to protect the public; the merchant has ignored the legislation passed by the Council and has failed to take reasonable action to protect the public. I believe assessing monetary penalties to the merchant for failing to comply is a more effective strategy. Closed door exchanges do not serve the public and lack the necessary transparency to ensure public safety is protected. A public meeting may be useful, a private meeting is questionable.

                Kathy Henderson
              • Debbie (Smith) Steiner
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
                  I personally would hope that considering the importance of this public safety issue, that CM Thomas with the MPD 5D Citizen's Advisory Council include the residents by having an open community meeting.

                  Debbie Smith-Steiner,
                  Treasurer, of the MPD5DCAC