Thomas Introduces Bill to Promote Local Biz Development

  • DB
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011

      Council of theDistrict of Columbia

      For Immediate Release
      March 1, 2011
      Contact:  Victoria A. Leonard
      202.727.6132(desk) -- 202.403.7866 (cell)

      vleonard@dccouncil.us

      Thomas Introduces Bill To Create Business Development Enterprise Fund To Promote Local Business Development

      Washington, DC - At the Council's legislative session today, Ward 5 Councilmember Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr., chair of the Council's Committee on Economic Development, introduced a bill to enhance, expand, and assist local business development. Councilmembers Michael Brown and Marion Barry co-introduced the bill.

      The Business Development Enterprise Fund Establishment Act of 2011 calls for the creation of a fund within the DC Department of Small and Local Business Development (DSLBD) to pay for programs such as retail strategy assistance, career development, and Certified Business Enterprise assistance. All programs paid for through the fund are to supplement, not replace, existing DSLBD offerings and services. Individuals, associations, corporations, partnerships, neighborhood and civic groups, and other government entities may contribute to the fund.

      "It is vital that we promote our small, local business community and establish new, cost-effective programs to assist them in being competitive," stated Thomas.  "This bill creates an opportunity to enhance our current government-sponsored small business offerings without incurring a budgetary impact."

      ###

      Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. represents Ward 5 on the