      From: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>; eckington@yahoogroups.com <eckington@yahoogroups.com>; AMF; Lanier, Cathy (MPD); Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL); Brown, Kwame (COUNCIL); Catania, David A. (COUNCIL); Gray, Vincent (COUNCIL); Mendelson, Phil (COUNCIL); Brown, Michael (Council); aeveney@... <aeveney@...>; Trena.carrington@... <Trena.carrington@...>; Grogan, Brian (MPD); Wright Jr., Ronald J.(MPD); Roch, Roger (MPD)
      Sent: Sun Mar 07 16:49:28 2010
      Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] 300 block of W Street NE needs immediate police presence 24/7 - picture from last night attached

      Dear Commander Greene, Chief Lanier, and Mayor Fenty, thank you all for your continued dedication to our block.

      Hopefully Ward 5 Asst U.S. Attorney Trena Carrington may bring her resources (nuisance property designation, etc) since all crime starts and ends at several specific properties on our block. These homes have plagued us for as long as I've been here (5 years).

      My neighbor Janice gave up the fight a little over a year ago, and last fall my neighbor Angela had to move out of her house as well. Now there are only two households left (myself and my neighbor). If dinner guests can't even feel safe enough to get out of their cars and come into my home, we're at an all time low - and it's only getting worse - especially if it's already this bad before it's warm out.

      I strongly urge DC MPD to enforce the public drinking laws. Twice when I called last night to have the loiterers broken up, I watched from my window as they poured out their cups and vacated the block. I didn't hear the officers tell them to pour out their bevs, but  I guarantee if the officers had arrested them, they would have found plenty more than just alcohol. I do however sympathize with the officers, since they probably don't want to do all the paperwork to arrest them for minimal things like public intox, since the DC Judicial System just spits lawbreakers right back out. But if officers were to use the public intox as probable cause, I know they'd find weapons, etc if they searched the person. I see weapons stashed in their jeans when they lift their shirts all the time.

      Thanks again for your dedication to our block. I appreciate it being kept on the radar screen.

      Best regards,

      Steven