722FW: URGENT -- Tuesday's Shootings at First Street NW

  • Greene, Jennifer (MPD)
    Oct 14, 2005
      RE: URGENT -- Tuesday's Shootings at First Street NW
      The meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, October 19, 2005, at 6:30 pm.  The location is MM Washington School, 1st and O Street, NW.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Scott, Melvin (MPD)
      Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 3:00 PM
      To: Sheldon Maye; Greene, Jennifer (MPD)
      Cc: dispatch@...
      Subject: RE: URGENT -- Tuesday's Shootings at First Street NW

      Members of Metropolitan Police Department and the officers assigned to PSA 501 will continue to be vigilant in addressing the safety needs of your community.  Enlisting community support in dealing with violence is vital.  Most of the gun violence is concentrated among small groups of people.  With the hard work of residents, CSOSA, CORE Team, Council Office, ANC representatives and the additional resources provided from outside the PSA, this community has a -46% decrease in crime compared to last year.  The recent gunfire is very alarming and we as a team should not allow our previous efforts to be washed away by a few individuals intent on creating havoc and fear.  PSA officers and additional resources have been deployed to curb future crime.  As we work in one area, displacement has possibly occurred leading to conflicts in new areas.  But we have to continue if we want to rid the community of this activity.

      The assistance by neighbors to provide MPD with graffiti information, addresses, tag numbers, 911 and 311 calls, community walks and gatherings, Problem Solving Partnerships, just to name a few have led to more than 1,000 arrests in PSA 501 this year.  Still we have to look at further strategies  to combat the recent gun violence.

      Commissioner Jones is organizing a community meeting next week, please come ready to roll up your sleeves to develop some real strategies to further reduce crime in this community.  I will be forwarding the last few court reports for review prior to the meeting, hopefully it will be helpful in the discussions.  In addition, we need someone that will assist in identifying the owners of certain problem properties, residents know the addresses.  Please be prepared to provide more addresses, so that the working group has a good starting point.