      From: Tobias Kienle <tfkienle@...>
      Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:25:42
      To:MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [MPD-5D] re: karen's post

      I couldn't agree more. I'm much more concerned about
      drug dealing (which is the cause of most of the
      violence) than traffic violations, with the exception
      of ignoring ped crossings & school zones. People need
      to understand police, and city, resources are limited.
      I don't want MPD focusing on anything but the most
      serious cases of reckless driving. I would prefer
      they focus on the real crimes. An officer writing a
      traffic ticket is taken away from his beat for 15
      minutes or more. And I'd like to see more foot-beat
      patrolling & community-oriented policing. The problem
      w/ all the car-based patrolling is that criminals see
      the car coming, lay low, then come right back out &
      pick up where they left off. Its too predictable, and
      the car/officer is out of the area in seconds. A
      better balance between foot, bike & car patrols needs
      to be reached, which would save money also.

      While it may statistically be true that you are more
      likely to be involved in a traffic incident, this
      doesn't have the negative quality-of-life implications
      of drug-related violence. I don't worry about some
      guy rolling through a stop sign or speeding. If you
      live in a city, you get savvy & learn to work around
      that. But I do worry about some thugs deciding my
      street is the OK Corral & getting caught in the
      crossfire. Violence & hard crime weighs on the spirit
      and affects attitude/mood more than minor crimes. I
      doubt the people around N. Cap/1st/Bates are sitting
      around thinking gee, I hope I don't see someone roll
      through a stop sign while I'm out walking the dog.

      TK

      Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic