4399Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Protecting Our Community

  • nicole donnelly
    Sep 8, 2008
      Ms. Henderson-

      I never stated that I believed a business should be allowed to operate outside the law. Nor did I take issue with your advocacy for your community (unlike certain VP candidates, I really don't think community organizers are people we should be denigrating- but that is a topic for different listservs). I requested 1. a link to the ode you referred to in which you link a dead drug dealer to the establishment , 2. further information on any citations they may have already received and 3. further information on any steps that may have been taken to remedy the situation with the owners. And as a patron of the establishment I presented an alternate viewpoint to others who may not be familiar with it. I would think having a locally owned business in a community with horrific levels of violence would be an asset to the community since the owners would be invested in both the success of community and the business since it is where they live and work. If the police have been called multiple times, have their been any citations from the calls?

      It is my understanding that it is next to impossible to obtain a liquor/ tavern license in the city without entering a voluntary agreement with the ANC responsible for the area for the location the business operates within. Doesn't this process also allow for the community to raise objections to the issuance of the license? And if the majority of the community is opposed and there are continued legal violations and citations, aren't mechanisms in place to close the business?

      I took an interest in your post when it was sent to multiple groups in 5D because, as stated, I have been a patron at the establishment for a year now and I do enjoy going there so I would miss it if it were gone. I was not aware of the establishment having received any citations and wanted more information on that. I was genuinely curious as to whether there was a middle ground here but as I searched unsuccessfully for the ode you mentioned I just continued to turn up more information to your opposition to the establishment from the beginning. It seems like my belief anything positive could come out of the situation was misplaced.

      Nicole Donnelly

      On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 3:33 PM, <khenderson029@...> wrote:

      Ms. Donnelly:

      I have included the entire section from which you extracted your partial quote. It reads as follows:

      Increasingly, this community which is partially located in Trinidad, has endured horrific levels of violence, forcing our police to respond strongly and often. We believe the police cannot fight crime alone and we must address all elements that contribute to crime and disorder, including protesting alcohol establishments that operate contrary to the law.

      Your response is interesting. Do you disagree with my point that alcohol establishments that operate outside of the law contribute to crime and disorder in a community? If so, I strongly encourage you to contact the National Institute for Drug Abuse, which can provide you with ample research confirming the increase in crime and disorder in communities that have businesses that sell alcohol; this is especially true for businesses that operate outside of the law. Jimmy Valentine's Lonely Hearts Club is located within 1200 feet of six other establishments that sell alcohol and is quickly becoming part of the problem because of the trash, unattractive, damaged facade and disgruntled owner. Let's not forget the police have been called to the establishment more than once.

      The fact remains that the majority of citizens residing in ANC 5B10 do not support this establishment, which is located within ANC 5B10. It has been my experience that the most vocal supporters of this establishment are Mr. Thorp's friends and persons who generally live outside of ANC 5B10. If you take issue with my stance to advocate for my community, so be it. I believe our community is worth fighting for and we deserve increased public safety not less. No community should have to tolerate a business that negatively affects the area in which it is located.

      Sincerely,

      Kathy Henderson

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic