3009"Bad Kids"

  • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
    Apr 1, 2008
      "Bad Kids"

      Some of you believe that you have bad kids in your neighborhood.  Particularly during the summer months, we get phone calls from people saying, I wish you can drive a van around here and pick up these bad kids.  I read email messages from people who want bad kids to stop throwing rocks, stop hanging outside, stop terrorizing the community, stop playing in the streets, stop bringing firecrackers into the neighborhood, etc.

      Chief Cathy Lanier wants our citys youth to be involved in structured programs and activities this summer.  There are 73 days between the last day of school and the first day of school.  To avoid feeling like you have uncontrollable bad kids in your neighborhoods, show them love by directing their families to the information below.

      Here are 8 steps you can take to prevent problems with unsupervised youth.

      1)      The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) is working with MPD.  We have asked them to bring the Skatemobile and other fun mobiles to locations that are occupied by unsupervised youth in the summer months If you know of addresses we can use, with flat surfaces where MPD can meet the DPR Skatemobile for supervised outdoor skating, please send the exact addresses to: yvonne.smith@... (Subject: Skatemobile).

      2)      Secondly, if you know of a program that is free or at a very low cost to DCs families, please share the information with your local community outreach coordinator (contact info below).  The police officers will be equipped with a list of structured summer programs during the summer months for families to consider.  The goal is: No child left unsupervised during the summer months.

      3)      Visit our SOS website: http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/sos to learn more about Chief Laniers Summer of Safety (SOS) program.

      4)      Refer youth and their families to our Summer Hotline to learn about free events for Youth during the summer months: (202) Im-Bored (202) 462-6733.  3-1-1 call takers will also be briefed on the Summer of Safety info next week.

      5)      Refer other organizations with credible summer youth programs to add to our MPD Summer Youth Events Calendar.  Last year, our calendar reached thousands of families and assisted with providing families with options for the summer.  (2008 Calendar Entry Form attached) To see last years calendar, visit: http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/frames.asp?doc=/mpdc/lib/mpdc/serv/programs/sos/sos_calendar_full.pdf

      6)      Support the Camp Brown Fundraiser Dinner.  Each year, the proceeds from this dinner pay for local youth to enjoy a one-week overnight stay at Camp Brown.  This year, the Joseph K. Smith Memorial Camp Brown Fundraiser Dinner will be held at the Washington Navy Yard on June 13 at 6:30pm.  This special event has served in the past few years as a reunion for city leaders and activists around the District.  It’s also for a very good cause.  The event is sponsored by the Executive Citizen Advisory Council.  To find out how to purchase tickets ($40) or ads for the souvenir booklet, dial 202-727-8809 or 202-829-3735.  See the SOS website for a photo and description of Camp Brown-  www.mpdc.dc.gov/sos  Once you attend the fundraiser dinner, submit names of children on your block to us who could use a one-week getaway to camp. J  Camp Brown is hosted by the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Washington and the Metropolitan Police Department.  For more info about the Clubs, visit: http://www.bgcgw.org/clubs/dc.html

      7)      Summer Jobs for Teens- The Department of Employment Services (DOES) will register teens in the Summer Youth Employment Program through April 26.  Once teens have registered with DOES, they will provide up to 15,000 youth, between the ages of 14 21 with summer jobs at various DC Govt agencies and non-profit organizations.  Chief Lanier has encouraged families to register their teens as another means of ensuring supervision during the summer months.  Last Saturday, MPD held a teen summer job registration in Ward 8.  Various police districts will continue doing so until the deadline.  For more information, see your Community Outreach Coordinator (listed below).

      8)      Finally, the Mayors Spring/Summer Guide, sponsored by the Department of Parks and Recreation will be released this weekend.  This guide will also contain information about structured summer day camps (some free of charge) and other summer activities to keep our citys youth engaged and involved Tell parents and grandparents to read the guide to learn about the summer programs. For more information about the guide, visit: www.dcsummerfun.dc.gov and for more information about what DPR has to offer, visit www.dpr.dc.gov

      9)      If the 8 tips above are not working for you by the end of June and your neighborhood is experiencing problems with unsupervised youth, please let us know.  (202) 727-8809 or (202) 576-6600.

      Help us help you and all of the potential unsupervised youth during the summer months.  When youth are supervised, delinquency decreases.  With your help, community members, we can Take a Bite out of Crime!  Lets work together to reduce your chances of saying, We have bad kids on my block.

      Metropolitan Police Departments Community Outreach Coordinators

      7D- Lendia.Johnson@dc.gov (phone) 202-698-1454

      6D- Julia.Irving@... (phone) 202-489-9942

      5D- Fayette.Vaughn-Lee@... (phone)

      4D- Alicia.Rucker@... (phone) 715-7476