239Re: Troublesome buildings--2600 block of Reed St NE

  • baringlake
    Apr 20, 2005
      Ms. Henderson,
      Thanks so much for inviting them to the Landlord Roundtable. Let me
      know if you need any further information for me for it.
      Thanks,
      Jen

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
      <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:

      > Jen,
      >
      > Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable"
      meetings with 5D
      > to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for
      addressing
      > crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not
      comply
      > they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil
      Forfeiture".
      > Initially I invited property owners in my single member district.
      We are
      > experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other
      areas. I am
      > happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Kathy Henderson, 5B10

      Behalf Of
      > baringlake
      > Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:25 PM
      > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [MPD-5D] Re: Troublesome buildings--2600 block of Reed St
      NE

      > Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
      > As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses
      in
      > the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
      > fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
      > area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
      > graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
      > prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a
      known
      > drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week
      ago.

      > I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
      > I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
      > warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
      > NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600
      block
      > of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
      > shop.
      >
      > The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
      > LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001)
      is
      > the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for
      lease"
      > sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-
      6300.
      > Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
      > information seems to match.
      >
      > I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti
      removal
      > (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
      > secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617).
      > also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know
      he's
      > leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500
      block
      > of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to
      the
      > warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so
      > asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if
      Sgt.
      > Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
      > assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
      > my service requests?
      >
      > Thanks so much!
      > Jen
      >
      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"
      > <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
      > > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
      > information to DCRA as well.
      > >
      > > Captain Patrick A. Burke
      > > Fifth District, MPDC
      > > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
      > >
      > > Office: 202 727-4488
      > > Pager: 888 523-7099

      Brookland
      > > area has been having trouble with a group of male teenagers
      robbing
      > > people at gunpoint, so it really makes me wonder if they're
      > related.
      > >
      > > I don't know the exact address of the warehouse, but it's in the
      > > 2600 block of Reed St NE, between Rhode Island Ave and Evarts St.
      > > It's directly behind Calvary Christian Academy. I think it may
      have
      > > once been owned by the DC govt (thought I saw an old govt sign),
      > but
      > > it now has a huge sign on the side facing the metro tracks
      > > advertising it "for lease" and giving the number for Douglas
      > > Development. Even though it's supposedly for lease, I haven't
      seen
      > > anything happen to it. And the fence surrounding it is woefully
      > > inadequate, so it keeps getting pulled down. Most of the windows
      > > have been broken, and there's a ton of graffiti on the side
      facing
      > > the metro tracks.
      > >
      > > Jen
      > >
      > > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
      > > <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
      > > > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street?
      > Thanks.

      What
      > > can we do?
      > > >

      > > > Last night, maybe around 12:30 or 1am, I heard what sounded
      like
      > > > four gunshots, possibly coming from the Rhode Island Ave area.
      > > > Subsequently heard police sirens (soon afterwards, so good
      > response
      > > > time) and then saw the police helicopter shine a light into the
      > > > empty warehouse on Reed St NE.
      > > >
      > > > I have two questions about this possible incident:
      > > >
      > > > 1. What information can you give us about the incident? It's
      > scary
      > > > to hear gunshots.
      > > >
      > > > 2. The empty warehouse on Reed St NE and the apartment
      building
      > at
      > > > 10th & Rhode Island NE seem to be rampant with drug and
      > > prostitution
      > > > activity. I've personally seen prostitutes from the 10th &
      Rhode
      > > > Island NE apartment building walk with men over to the empty
      > > > warehouse on Reed St NE, which is not well-secured (a flimsy
      wire
      > > > fence that people can just push aside). Plus, this isn't the
      > first
      > > > time I've heard gunshots coming from the 10th & Rhode Island NE
      > > > area, which often has to do with the open-air drug dealing
      there.
      > > > What can we do about this problem? I don't feel like I see
      enough
      > > of
      > > > a police presence by the 10th & Rhode Island Ave NE apartment
      > > > building (which is in sight of an elementary school--aren't
      there
      > > > harsh drug laws so close to a school?). Plus, is there any way
      > > > increase police presence on Reed St NE and/or to force the
      owner
      > > > (Douglas Development) to better secure that empty warehouse?
      > > >
      > > > I really appreciate that the police have started this list-
      serve,
      > > > and I'm glad I can bring my concerns directly to you. It makes
      me
      > > > feel a lot better about my community.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for your advice with this problem!
      > > > Jen
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links