219Re: Troublesome buildings--2600 block of Reed St NE

  • baringlake
    Apr 19, 2005
      Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
      As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses in
      the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
      fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
      area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
      graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
      prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a known
      drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week ago.

      I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
      I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
      warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
      NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600 block
      of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
      shop.

      The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
      LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001) is
      the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for lease"
      sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-6300.
      Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
      information seems to match.

      I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti removal
      (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
      secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617). I
      also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know he's
      leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500 block
      of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to the
      warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so I
      asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if Sgt.
      Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
      assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
      my service requests?

      Thanks so much!
      Jen

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"
      <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
      > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
      information to DCRA as well.

      > Captain Patrick A. Burke
      > Fifth District, MPDC
      > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
      >
      > Office: 202 727-4488
      > Pager: 888 523-7099

      What can we do?

      > Thank you for passing along this information. I know the Brookland
      > area has been having trouble with a group of male teenagers robbing
      > people at gunpoint, so it really makes me wonder if they're
      related.

      > I don't know the exact address of the warehouse, but it's in the
      > 2600 block of Reed St NE, between Rhode Island Ave and Evarts St.
      > It's directly behind Calvary Christian Academy. I think it may have
      > once been owned by the DC govt (thought I saw an old govt sign),
      but
      > it now has a huge sign on the side facing the metro tracks
      > advertising it "for lease" and giving the number for Douglas
      > Development. Even though it's supposedly for lease, I haven't seen
      > anything happen to it. And the fence surrounding it is woefully
      > inadequate, so it keeps getting pulled down. Most of the windows
      > have been broken, and there's a ton of graffiti on the side facing
      > the metro tracks.
      >
      > Jen
      >
      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
      > <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
      > > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street?
      Thanks.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic