      Join us as we continue to strive to keep our neighborhoods safe.  Representatives from Lo-Jak and Geico will provide auto theft prevention tips.  Window identification etching will be offered.  **Refreshments Served**

      Date: Saturday, April 9, 2005
      Location: Fifth District Police Station, 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
      Time: 12:00 Noon to 2:30 PM
      Anti-Theft Devices Will Be Sold at Cost

      For More Information, Contact,

      -Lt. Vincent Turner- Vincent.Turner@... - 727-4478
      - Wendell West- Wendell.West@...- 727-4494
      - Detective Thomas Stein, Auto Theft Unit- Thomas.Stein@... 727-8395

      National Night Out is Tuesday, August 2, 2005

      National Night Out is an annual event, sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch, that takes place on the first Tuesday in August.  Each year the Metropolitan Police Department actively participates in National Night Out by rallying community members throughout the District of Columbia to join with neighbors and police officers in their PSAs to be a part of this annual event.

      The National Night Out campaign involves citizens, law enforcement agencies, civic groups, businesses, neighborhood organizations and local officials from 9,500 communities from all 50 states, US territories, Canadian cities and military bases worldwide.

      National Night Out is designed to:

      • Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
      • Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs;
      • Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and
      • Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.

      For more information or to order official National Night Out copyrighted merchandise, visit the website for the National Association of Town Watch (NATW) www.natw.org or call 1-800-NITE-OUT.

      NOTE: Each year, the mayor and police chief attend a special ceremonial kickoff to National Night Out.  However, all Police Service Areas (PSAs) across the city are required to hold National Night Out events.  This year, residents in the Trinidad community are asking the mayor to select the Fifth District as a kickoff spot.  Last year, the kickoff was held in the Sixth District.  The previous year, the kick off was held in the Fifth District.  To ask the mayor to bring National Night Out's kickoff to Ward 5, contact  Delvin.Smith@...  the Community Affairs Coordinator for the Mayor's Office for Ward 5.  His phone number is 442-8150.

      April Events

      April 9 (Sat)- PSA 503 Mtg (5D Police Station) 10am

      April 9 (Sat) Auto-Theft Prevention Day (5D Police Station) 12 Noon

      April 16 (Sat)- PSA 504 Community Mtg (Joe Cole Rec Center, 1200 Morse St, NE) 10am

      April 19 (Tue)- PSA 502 Community Mtg (Washington Ctr for Aging, 2601 18th St, NE) 7:30pm

      April 21 (Thur)- PSA 501 Community Mtg (St. Martin's Church, 1908 N Capitol St, NW) 7pm

      April 28 (Thur)- Citizen Advisory Council Mtg (With 5D Commander) (5D Police Station) 7pm

      Date: April 5, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: Get Licensed & Legal
      Description: Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs and Office of Tax and Revenue will hold office hours at the e-BIC. These are one-on-one sessions. Please call to reserve a time slot.
      Cost:  Free
      Time: 1:00pm- 3:30pm
      Place: Enhanced Business Information Center on Library's 1st Level

      Date: April 5, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: Starting a Business in DC
      Cost:  Free
      Time:10:00am - 1:00pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: April 7, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: How To Write a Business Plan
      Cost:  Free
      Time: 1:00pm- 3:00pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: April 7, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: LSDBE HELP!
      Cost: Free
      Time: 1:30pm- 3:30pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: April 12, 2005
      Topic: Finding Commercial Property
      Description: Libby Kavoulakis, owner and managing member of The Metis Group LLC, will teach attendees the impact of location on a commercial business, how to select a site, and what resources are available in DC for finding and acquiring alocation.
      Cost: Free
      Time: 7:00pm- 9:00pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: April 13, 2005
      Topic: Nonprofit Strategic Planning (Session 1 of a 4 part series on non-profits)
      Description: This course will cover the differences between strategic plans and business plans for nonprofit organizations. Participants will also learn how to conduct S.W.O.T. and competitive analyses of their nonprofits. Topics in long and short range planning will also be addressed.  Taught by Telaekah Brooks of Southeastern University.
      Cost: Free
      Time: 6:00pm- 9:00pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: April 14, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: Sell to the District of Columbia
      Cost:  Free
      Time: 1:30pm- 3:00pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: April 19, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: Understanding and Building Business Credit
      Cost:  Free
      Time: 6:00pm- 8:00pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's ALevel

      Date: April 20, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: DC Supply Schedule
      Cost: Free
      Time: 1:30pm- 3:30pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: April 25, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: Introduction to the 7 (a) Loan Program
      Cost:  Free
      Time: 6:00pm - 7:30pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: April 26, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: Starting a Home-Based Business
      Cost:  Free
      Time: 2:30pm- 3:30pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date:April 26, 2005 (Takes place monthly).
      Topic: Don't rent your property... Buy it!
      Cost:  Free
      Time: 6:00pm- 7:30pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: April 27,2005
      Topic: All About LLCs
      Cost:  Free
      Time: 7:00pm- 9:00pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      May 2005

      Date: May 3, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: Get Licensed & Legal

      Date: May 5, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: LSDBE HELP!
      Cost: Free
      Time: 1:30pm- 3:30pm
      Place: Enhanced Business Information Center on Library's 1st Level

      Date: May 11, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: How to Start a Non-Profit
      Cost:Free
      Time: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: May 18, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: DC's Supply Schedule
      Cost: Free
      Time: 1:30pm- 3:30pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Date: May 31, 2005 (Takes place monthly)
      Topic: Don't rent your property... Buy it!
      Cost:  Free
      Time: 6:00pm- 7:30pm
      Place: e-BIC Video Conference Center on Library's A Level

      Alexander M. Padro
      Executive Director
      Shaw Main  Streets, Inc.
      1426 9th Street, NW, 4th Floor