17719Re: [Brookland] ACCIDENT: 13th & Franklin ST NE

  • Brooklander13
    Dec 16, 2013
      These were taken in late summer/ early fall. Its one of MANY large commercial vehicles that cut through on to Franklin and then try to turn on 13th. See attached Photos.

      DDOT and DC GOVT: We are still waiting to hear back from some of you on when you will initiate the requests we have made for a change to both Franklin and 13th St NE.

      Please advise when someone will respond reply...

      Elise
      13th

      On Dec 13, 2013, at 7:31 PM, Brooklander13 <brooklander13@...> wrote:

      Thank you for the reply Jon. I have been petitioning for this change for years and have watched many accidents at this deadly corner with no response or action.

      This is the second accident in less then a month. I understand that speed humps may not be an option since EMS needs access to the hospitals, but certainly speed cameras can be installed at the intersection to deter speeding and potentially hurting people. Children live and walk to school on both those streets (13st and Franklin), people walk to the metro and you never know when someone will run the light and run you over. Its unacceptable. No speed studies need to be done because they were initiated in the past, is a waste of time, and the community is asking for action in the form of Rerouting, Cameras, SIgnage and Police Enforcement so that we can live safely. People who live on Franklin are terrified to park and get in and out of their cars for fear of being run over. It takes no time at all to put back the NO THRU TRUCKS over 1 1/4 TON Sign at:

      • The corner of Franklin ST NE and RI AVE NE and the same on the opposite end at the corner of Michigan NE and Franklin St NE
      • The corner of 13th ST NE and RI AVE and the same on the opposite end at the corner of 13th ST NE and Michigan Ave NE

      We as a community have requested this many times and want someone in DC GOVT and DDOT to do something about it NOW before there is another person hurt of killed by someone speeding and running the lights.

      When can we expect to see our specific request taken seriously and put into action?

      Elise
      13th

      (By the way, the truck that ran the light had "CLARK" on it  which I believe may be CLARK CONSTRUCTION.)

      On Dec 13, 2013, at 6:23 PM, "Mandel, Jon (Council)" <jmandel@...> wrote:

      Elise,

      Thank you for your email. I will follow up with DDOT to identify if any additional measures can be taken to produce a safer intersection. I will also advise the Rhode Island Streetscaping Citizen Advisory Group to take note of comments made on this post.

      If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me.

      Again, thank you for notifying our office about today’s unfortunate accident.

      Best,
      Jon

      Jon Mandel
      Community & Business Affairs Coordinator
      Office of Councilmember Kenyan R. McDuffie, Ward 5
      1350 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Suite 506
      Washington, DC 20004
      202.478.2457 Direct

      Please Join Councilmember McDuffie for the Ward 5 Holiday Party on Thursday, December 19 at 6:30 PM at Gallaudet University’s Sorenson Language and Communication Center
      (800 Florida Ave NE).