17686[Brookland] ACCIDENT: 13th & Franklin ST NE

  • Brooklander13
    Dec 13, 2013
      Here is the latest example of yet another TRUCK running the light on Franklin St NE from RI Ave heading towards Michigan. This happened an hour ago in front of my house. A dump truck was speeding and ran the light and hit a woman in a car heading south on 13th Street. How many more examples does DC GOVT need to install signage that reroutes trucks to RI Ave and installs speed cameras on both streets to get people to slow down and not kill others?

      Who is going to respond to my request? (photos attached of the car and the truck)

      On Nov 7, 2013, at 8:54 AM, Brooklander13 <brooklander13@...> wrote:

      In the 2 years since Ive been away from my house whiles it was under repair for fire damage, the increase in traffic on 13th St and Franklin has skyrocketed. It is mind boggling. Its like living on the side of a highway. Traffic is backed up on Franklin like a parking lot. The trucks that now seem to be more regular range from giant commercial dump trucks to 18 wheeler rigs and its constant as if this is 495 or NY Avenue.

      Just 2 weeks ago a tractor trailer tried to turn the corner onto Franklin and knocked out a pole and a light. This happens more and more regularly.

      Is anyone experiencing that in other parts of Brookland? If so, we need to petition the govt to get the trucks out of here. With all the new construction, Im sure no developers or DDOT took into consideration or even cared about the increase of traffic to our lovely community. Brookland is a neighborhood not an industrial part of town. Kids walk to school down Franklin and 13th St and its even terrifying for adults to cross that street. If you are standing on either road, you can't even hear another person talking. Its unacceptable.

      I asked for a traffic study years ago and also started a petition for rerouting of trucks and to reduce speed some how. It went no where. Currently there is a homeowners on Franklin who has started a petition to get the trucks rerouted back onto RI Ave where they should be and to have a sign put back up that says NO THRU TRUCKS with a weight limit on the corner of Franklin and RI heading South along with one on Franklin and 10th (right before you get to the school).  I think there also needs to be one on 13th Street between Monroe and RI Ave as well.

      I know that Debbie Steiner is in contact with DDOT but I would like DC Govt and DDOT to respond to this and give the community an ETA on when we can expect the signs to go up to reroute trucks? This has been going on no since 2004 and enough time has gone by to do traffic studies and take action.
      13th St

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic