17552Re. Another Newton Street Market Armed Robbery...

  • brian
    Nov 30, 2013
      Thank you, Captain Kane, and thank you, Lt. Griffin.

      I recall MPD and PGCPD worked to close a string of robberies in PG, 4D and 5D-- including the robbery of Newton Food Market last August...

      Let's hope tips and/or great detective work lead to a prompt closure of this Newton Food Market robbery, too. No one wants to see our area shopkeepers having to wrap themselves in plexiglass again.

      As a neighborhood sidebar reminder-- which could use periodic MPD patrol attention, as well...

      Luke Moore Academy continues to attract a crowd around the sidewalks of Newton, Monroe and 10th-- especially around 9 to 10 in the morning and 2:30 to 3:30 in the afternoon. A number appear to be friends or "business"  and/or "dealer" associates of students attending Luke Moore.

      Too often, a number of them engage in bold, before/after-school pass-around smoking sessions of one substance or another on Newton's sidewalks. That can be on either side of street, usually mid-block, at some distance from the higher-traffic/populated corner intersections.

      It's a nuisance, of course-- for area residents and Metro pedestrians alike. And, needless to say, one bold criminal behavior, unchecked by MPD, can lead to the temptation to commit other criminal behaviors-- especially when holiday gift-giving (and taking) can be on young, potential perpetrator minds.

      A few weeks ago, we had a near mini-riot involving about 20+ kids after school. MPD responded promptly to 911 call(s), and the impromptu mob did scatter-- leaving as quickly as MPD arrived (with multiple cars plus disperse/warning siren whoops).

      So... if not daily, some regular MPD-504 'show-the-flag patrolling' of Newton, Monroe, 10th and 12th-- during those particular before/after-school gathering times-- is likely to provide some needed crime deterrence and peace of mind for the whole neighborhood.

      Thanks again.

      brian/
      psa 504

      ---In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, <morgan.kane@...> wrote:

      Additionally, we are asking anyone with information to call 202-727-9099. Information may also be submitted to the  TEXT TIP LINE by text messaging 50411.

      Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
      Fifth District Station
      Metropolitan Police Department
      1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
      Washington, DC 20002
      202-391-6862 (cell)
      202-698-0150 (station)

      On Nov 29, 2013, at 11:58 PM, "Griffin, Randy (MPD)" <randy.griffin@...> wrote:
      Today at approximately 3:00 pm. three suspects committed a robbery of the Newton Market.  It is unknown which direction the suspects fled.  The investigation is ongoing and the investigators are attempting to collect as much evidence as possible, including any video footage.