      From: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com [mailto: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Brooklander13
      Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:20 AM
      To: brookland@yahoogroups.com Egroup; ward5@yahoogroups.com; Hernandez, Monica (DDOT); Jenese Jones; ddot@...; ward5coe@...; Washington, Sandi (ANC 5A07)
      Cc: Debbie Steiner; Mandel, Jon (Council); brentwooddc@yahoogroups.com; MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com ; Twine, Kevin (DPW); woodridgesouth@yahoogroups.com; Williams, Marchim (EOM)
      Subject: [MPD-5D] [Brookland] DC GOVT/DDOT: Traffic, Noise and Speeding

      Neighbors,

      In the 2 years since Ive been away from my house whiles it was under repair for fire damage, the increase in traffic on 13th St and Franklin has skyrocketed. Its like living on the side of a highway. Traffic is backed up on Franklin like a parking lot. The trucks that now seem to be more regular range from giant commercial dump trucks to 18 wheeler rigs and its constant as if this is 495 or NY Avenue . Just 2 weeks ago a tractor trailer tried to turn the corner onto Franklin and knocked out a pole and a light. This happens with too much regularity.

      Is anyone experiencing an increase in an unacceptable level of trucks, noise and speeding in other parts of Brookland? My guess is yes.

      We need to petition DC Govt (again) to get the trucks out of here. With all the new construction, Im sure no Developers or DDOT took into consideration or even cared about the increase of traffic to our lovely community. Brookland is a neighborhood not an industrial part of town. Kids walk to school down Franklin and 13th St and its even terrifying for adults to cross that street. If you are standing on either road, you can't even hear another person talking. Its unacceptable.

      I asked for a traffic study years ago and also started a petition for rerouting of trucks and to reduce speed some how. It went no where.

      Currently there is a homeowners on Franklin who has started a petition to get the trucks rerouted back onto RI Ave where they should be and to have a sign put back up that says NO THRU TRUCKS with a WEIGHT LIMIT on the corner of Franklin and RI heading South along with one on Franklin and 7th (before you get to the school). There also needs to be one on 13th Street at RI Ave all the way through to Michigan as well to keep trucks from cutting through. There are more then enough commercial routes for trucks to use.

      Additionally, either speed cameras or some other solution needs to go up as well because the amount of fatal accidents on this corner and 12th and Franklin needs to be addressed. Im no longer interested in finding parts of cars in my yard from collisions or waking up at 3am to call 911 due to collision from people trying to run the yellow light.

      I know that Debbie Steiner is in contact with DDOT but I would like DC Govt and DDOT to respond to this email and the Brookland Community and give a specific ETA on when we can expect the signs to go up to reroute trucks. This has been going on since 2004 and enough time has gone by to do traffic studies and take action.

      Please advise as to when someone will step forward from DDOT and DC GOVT with a real solution and acceptable timeline to fix this situation that members of this community have been requesting for over 9 years.

      In the time it took for me to draft this email, 19 tractor trailers have gone by and 4 cars have tried to run the light on 13th Street .

      Elise
      13th St

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic