17241Re: [MPD-5D] FW: Two Arrests Made in Homicide and Assault with Intent to Kill: 22 Florida Avenue, NW

  • Vonetta Dumas
    Oct 27, 2013
      Excellent!!!  I am so grateful that we have the resources to have more officers on duty.

      I agree with Commissioner Henderson the names of the officers should be recognized.  I commend them for responding on instinct being alert and skillful apprehending the suspects.  They performed exceptionally in this incident.

      Not only are we relieved as a community that someone has been captured and charged.  I'm sure the arrest will bring some relief for the bereaved family that they may rest a little easier knowing that their son murderer is not at large.

      Thank you so much 5D for your collective efforts and ongoing hard work and dedication to
      fighting crime.  I/we support you and keep you in our thoughts and prayers that your able to effectively apprehend dangerous suspects and go home to your family's unharmed.

      Keep up the good work,

      Commissioner Vonetta Dumas, 5D02

      Please excuse any misspellings/ odd words. My iPhone thinks it is smarter than I am.

      On Oct 26, 2013, at 2:00 PM, "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...> wrote:

      Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)

      Two Arrests Made in Homicide and Assault with Intent to Kill: 22 Florida Avenue, NW

      (Washington, DC)- The Metropolitan Police Department has announced that two arrests have been made in the fatal shooting and felony assault which occurred at 22 Florida Avenue, NW.

      On Saturday, October 26, 2013, at approximately 1:14 am, units from the Fifth District responded to the area of Florida Avenue and North Capitol Streets, Northwest for the sounds of gunshots.  Upon arrival, police officers observed a dark colored motor vehicle fleeing the Valero gas station parking lot located at 22 Florida Avenue, NW, at a high rate of speed. The police officers pursued the fleeing motor vehicle.  The pursuit concluded on Interstate 695 near the northbound ramp to Interstate 295.  Four individuals were located and identified as being inside the vehicle that fled the gas station.

      Police officers on the shooting scene located two adult male victims suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services transported both gunshot victims to a local hospital, where one gunshot victim succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead.  The second gunshot victim was admitted and is expected to survive his injuries.  The decedent’s remains were transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for the District of Columbia, pending an autopsy.

      The decedent is identified as 28-year-old Freddy Bernard Hawkins of Northeast, Washington, DC.

      Investigation into this homicide has resulted in two arrests.  20 year-old Justine Wilson, of Southeast, DC is being charged with Murder II while Armed and Assault with the Intent to Kill in connection to the shooting death of Freddy Bernard Hawkins, and the other adult male that was shot.  23 year-old Reese Williams of Southeast, DC is being charged with Accessory After the Fact.

      Due to the determined, skillful and intrepid efforts of the Fifth District Patrol and Criminal Investigations Divisions; these two suspects were apprehended and brought to justice. The investigation is continuing.

      Serve DC is proud to present NeighborGood, a new, free tool to help residents engage in meaningful service and connect with the causes and organizations they care about. Visit NeighborGood at http://serve.dc.gov/service/neighborgood

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic