17238Re: [MPD-5D] FW: Two Arrests Made in Homicide and Assault with Intent to Kill: 22 Florida Avenue, NW

    Oct 27, 2013
      There are plenty of police east of North Capitol Street. Just as Lt. Randy Griffin does in PSA 501 (west of North Capitol Street), Lt. Ron Wright in PSA 502 on the east side of North Capitol deploys his officers in strategic areas for high visibility and to address matters there.

      We have officers on all three shifts who ride mountain bikes, segways, and walk foot beats along the Rhode Island Avenue corridor.

      I see them out there as I drive through the neighborhoods, and from reports that I get many of the PSA 502 residents interact with them regularly and know many by name.

      For the past two months Chief Lanier has provided extra resources to all areas of the city for high visibility and we have had two officers patrolling Rhode Island from 4th Street to 10th Street 24 hours a day, and I know they have added a layer of security to our patrol efforts.

      We're out there!

      Andy Solberg
      Commander, 5D

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 27, 2013, at 8:44 AM, "eckingtonwashdc@..." <cuteguydc2003@...> wrote:

      I agree, great work!  But.... I live in the NE (other side of N. Capitol off RI AVE NE), I leave early for work and I head west down RI and I always notice much more police presence as I head towards Shaw...(NW), usually a  police cruiser parked at church off RI ave & 1st  NW and I continuously see police as I heard towards Shaw/Logan/Foggy Bottom (pass RI & Conn).  Seems to be a disparity of police in that part of town than my area, east NE side.

      I know there are a bunch of night clubs in the area of RI & Conn NW, and thereof.  But when  at times I head to the gas station on 12th ST NE, I see nary a police cruiser.

      On Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:54 AM, "Griffin, Randy (MPD)" <randy.griffin@...> wrote:

      Indeed!  The PSA 501 crime patrol officers were actively patrolling within the boundaries of their specific beat assignment when they heard gunshots.  They were actually seconds away from the actual occurrence.  Additionally, because the officers were on the scene prior to any telephone calls to 9-1-1, they did not receive a radio assignment or any descriptions of suspects or victims.  The officers exercised great judgment and exceptional police instinct when they identified and decided to pursue the suspect’s vehicle.  The apprehensions were a direct result of their outstanding efforts, their career experiences, and their dedication to the citizens of the Fifth District.

      From: "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...>
      Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:00:17 -0400

      Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)

      Two Arrests Made in Homicide and Assault with Intent to Kill: 22 Florida Avenue, NW

      ( Washington , DC )- The Metropolitan Police Department has announced that two arrests have been made in the fatal shooting and felony assault which occurred at 22 Florida Avenue, NW .

      On Saturday, October 26, 2013, at approximately 1:14 am, units from the Fifth District responded to the area of Florida Avenue and North Capitol Streets, Northwest for the sounds of gunshots.  Upon arrival, police officers observed a dark colored motor vehicle fleeing the Valero gas station parking lot located at 22 Florida Avenue, NW , at a high rate of speed. The police officers pursued the fleeing motor vehicle.  The pursuit concluded on Interstate 695 near the northbound ramp to Interstate 295.  Four individuals were located and identified as being inside the vehicle that fled the gas station.

      Police officers on the shooting scene located two adult male victims suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services transported both gunshot victims to a local hospital, where one gunshot victim succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead.  The second gunshot victim was admitted and is expected to survive his injuries.  The decedent’s remains were transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for the District of Columbia , pending an autopsy.

      The decedent is identified as 28-year-old Freddy Bernard Hawkins of Northeast, Washington , DC .

      Investigation into this homicide has resulted in two arrests.  20 year-old Justine Wilson, of Southeast, DC is being charged with Murder II while Armed and Assault with the Intent to Kill in connection to the shooting death of Freddy Bernard Hawkins, and the other adult male that was shot.  23 year-old Reese Williams of Southeast, DC is being charged with Accessory After the Fact.

      Due to the determined, skillful and intrepid efforts of the Fifth District Patrol and Criminal Investigations Divisions; these two suspects were apprehended and brought to justice. The investigation is continuing.

      ###

      Serve DC is proud to present NeighborGood, a new, free tool to help residents engage in meaningful service and connect with the causes and organizations they care about. Visit NeighborGood at http://serve.dc.gov/service/neighborgood

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic