16857RE: FW: Traffic Light Violations on Brentwood Road NE

  • dachare
    Sep 13, 2013

      I must concur wholeheartedly with this post.  Actually, in my experience, the aggressive behaviors described in this post are a relatively new phenomenon that just keeps increasing.  To add to the mix of dangers, I've also seen motorists turn *left* from the right lane when a line of cars is waiting to make a left turn at this particular intersection.  It's like the wild wild west.

      And, unfortunately, this behavior does not contain itself to this intersection alone.  The intersection of Washington Place and the entrance to the Rhode Island Place shopping center, as well as the Brentwood Rd. and W St. exit from Rhode Island Place are host to similar activities - in particular violating no right on red designations and making turns from the wrong lane.

      No camera can catch these violations, and they are a major safety risk for *all* road users.  Drivers making illegal turns put other motorists and pedestrians in immediate danger of collisions.  In particular, making a turn from a non-turn lane impairs the violating driver's ability to see pedestrians in the crosswalk, and increases the speed of their turn, multiplying the danger to those trying to legally cross the street many fold.  Drivers making illegal rights on red are generally less observant of pedestrians legally crossing in front of them.  And, as mentioned, these drivers make it difficult to impossible for drivers operating in a legal fashion to enter the lane they need to and increase the risk of collisions as drivers don't expect the illegal maneuver.

      Finally, the aggressiveness of these actions is disturbing.  As the OP noted, yelling and honking are not uncommon among those who undertake these actions.  Harassment for following the law is not only unwarranted, it's disturbing, as I'm always unsure *just* how far one of these drivers may take it.  I've been subject to what I can only conclude are *intentionally* aggressive, dangerous, and illegal maneuvers by drivers I "slighted" by following the law.  So far it hasn't escalated past a dangerous lane change or brake check or the like, but what if I don't react quickly enough and collide with them or don't jump out of the roadway fast enough when on foot?  An irate driver who feels entitled to do whatever it takes to save a few seconds is a ticking time bomb, and only a standard that makes it clear this behavior is unacceptable will diffuse that bomb.

      Just being observant of driver behavior around their vehicle and "warning against" bad behavior would be helpful.  I've seen this done at the crosswalk at Brentwood Rd/13th St/Bryant St.  When an officer is stopped for pedestrians, and sees a driver that does not appear to be stopping, they'll "buzz" them or flash their lights.  It's nearly 100% effective at stopping the driver.  Very few people are dumb enough to go right ahead with their law-breaking after an officer "warns" them not to do it.

      --- In mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com, <mssteph6721@...> wrote:

      MPD-5 - DDOT suggested that I contact you regarding this traffic enforcement issue at the light at Brentwood Rd and Israel Baptist Church.  I understand that MPD-5's hands are full with crime, arrest etc.  However, I am concerned that someone may be hurt through an accident due to violations of the "Right Turn on Green Arrow".

      In my travels to that intersection, vehicles are still turning "Right on Red" from both the right and left lane. Also, they are turning right on the green light, (not the green arrow), and they are turning right from both the right and left lane, when the sign clearly indicates that the left lane should go straight and/or turn left.

      I believe the intersection needs enforcement by DDOT or MPD-5 in order to change the violations that are persisting.

      The drivers turning on the red light and the green light, are not yielding to pedestrians in the crosswalk, nor the oncoing traffic turning from Saratoga. Also, the cars turning right from the left lane are causing and potentially dangerous situation by turning as law abiding citizens like myself are turning right on the "green arrow".

      The drivers are not adhering to the signs (which are very clear), and are blowing their horns, and irratically coming around to the left lane to turn right. I believe that it is an old habit that they are instinctively turning inappropriately. However, they need to obey the rules of the road.

      If at all possible since DDOT is not open to monitoring the intersection, and suggested that I refer this matter to MPD-5., is it within your jurisdiction and duties to help monitor the traffic flow and violations, I believe it will help change the old paradigm of turning right on red, and turning right on green when the traffic sign specifically says turn "right on green arrow only."

      Thank you for your response and assistance with this potentially dangerous traffic situation.

      Stephanie

      From: mssteph6721@...
      To: customerservice.ddot@...; ddot@...; james.cheeks@...; jeffrey.powell@...; wasim.raja@...; anthony.dinkins@...; rashele.maclin@...; mssteph6721@...
      Subject: RE: Email from DDOT (Intranet Quorum IMA00498009)
      Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:53:12 -0400

      Again All, -- Good morning DDOT, I am contacting you again regarding the traffic signal at Brentwood Road.  I appreciate that your office went out and evaluated the traffic situation and added an additional "Right Turn on Green Arrow" sign only across the street so that drivers can see it.  However, the drivers are not adhering to the traffic signs.

[...]

      If at all possible if DDOT could monitor the traffic flow and violations, I believe it will help change the old paradigm of turning right on red, and turning right on green when the traffic sign specifically says turn "right on green arrow only."

      Thank you for your response and assistance with this potentially dangerous traffic situation.

      Stephanie A. Robinson
      (703) 801-8759 Mobile

      From: customerservice.ddot@...
      To: mssteph6721@...
      Subject: Email from DDOT (Intranet Quorum IMA00498009)
      Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 15:20:12 -0400

       ?letterdate ?

      Dear Ms. Robinson:

      We at the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) have received your concerns regarding the traffic signal at Brentwood Road. We understand the sign reads "Right Turn on Green Arrow" only.  This sign placement may cause some confusion for drivers.  We are also made aware of the tree on W Street around 14th and 15th Street NE.  The tree branches are covering one of the stop signs and drivers cannot see the stop sign.

      After an evaluation form both the Transportation  Operations Administration and Urban Forestry Administration DDOT  will be adding a "Right Turn on Green Arrow Only" signage to the signal pole on the southeast corner of the intersection.  As for the tree, we are pleased to report that an arborist from DDOT's Urban Forestry Administration (UFA) has arranged for this tree to be pruned.  We apologize that that this tree has not been pruned as quickly as you might like. Usually routine tree services take 1-6 months to complete. Sometimes emergency situations caused by unexpected acts of nature such as lightning storms and heavy snowfalls can divert UFA's resources and delay routine tree work. UFA is responsible for coordinating the pruning, removal, and planting of trees across the District. However, even though their moderately-staffed team shoulders an excessive amount of work, UFA still manages to outperform their counterparts in other large cities across the country.

      For further questions regarding these matters, please contact DDOT at 202-673-6813.

      d. Clearinghouse
      JL

      ###

      Please visit Grade.DC.Gov to give us your feedback and help improve DDOT's customer service.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic