16799FW: Traffic Light Violations on Brentwood Road NE

  • Stephanie A. Robinson
    Sep 3, 2013
      MPD-5 - DDOT suggested that I contact you regarding this traffic enforcement issue at the light at Brentwood Rd and Israel Baptist Church.  I understand that MPD-5's hands are full with crime, arrest etc.  However, I am concerned that someone may be hurt through an accident due to violations of the "Right Turn on Green Arrow".

      In my travels to that intersection, vehicles are still turning "Right on Red" from both the right and left lane. Also, they are turning right on the green light, (not the green arrow), and they are turning right from both the right and left lane, when the sign clearly indicates that the left lane should go straight and/or turn left.

      I believe the intersection needs enforcement by DDOT or MPD-5 in order to change the violations that are persisting.

      The drivers turning on the red light and the green light, are not yielding to pedestrians in the crosswalk, nor the oncoing traffic turning from Saratoga. Also, the cars turning right from the left lane are causing and potentially dangerous situation by turning as law abiding citizens like myself are turning right on the "green arrow".

      The drivers are not adhering to the signs (which are very clear), and are blowing their horns, and irratically coming around to the left lane to turn right. I believe that it is an old habit that they are instinctively turning inappropriately. However, they need to obey the rules of the road.

      If at all possible since DDOT is not open to monitoring the intersection, and suggested that I refer this matter to MPD-5., is it within your jurisdiction and duties to help monitor the traffic flow and violations, I believe it will help change the old paradigm of turning right on red, and turning right on green when the traffic sign specifically says turn "right on green arrow only."

      Thank you for your response and assistance with this potentially dangerous traffic situation.

      Stephanie

      From: mssteph6721@...
      To: customerservice.ddot@...; ddot@...; james.cheeks@...; jeffrey.powell@...; wasim.raja@...; anthony.dinkins@...; rashele.maclin@...; mssteph6721@...
      Subject: RE: Email from DDOT (Intranet Quorum IMA00498009)
      Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:53:12 -0400

      Again All, -- Good morning DDOT, I am contacting you again regarding the traffic signal at Brentwood Road.  I appreciate that your office went out and evaluated the traffic situation and added an additional "Right Turn on Green Arrow" sign only across the street so that drivers can see it.  However, the drivers are not adhering to the traffic signs.

[...]

      If at all possible if DDOT could monitor the traffic flow and violations, I believe it will help change the old paradigm of turning right on red, and turning right on green when the traffic sign specifically says turn "right on green arrow only."

      Thank you for your response and assistance with this potentially dangerous traffic situation.

      Stephanie A. Robinson
      (703) 801-8759 Mobile

      From: customerservice.ddot@...
      To: mssteph6721@...
      Subject: Email from DDOT (Intranet Quorum IMA00498009)
      Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 15:20:12 -0400

       ?letterdate ?

      Dear Ms. Robinson:

      We at the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) have received your concerns regarding the traffic signal at Brentwood Road. We understand the sign reads "Right Turn on Green Arrow" only.  This sign placement may cause some confusion for drivers.  We are also made aware of the tree on W Street around 14th and 15th Street NE.  The tree branches are covering one of the stop signs and drivers cannot see the stop sign.

      After an evaluation form both the Transportation  Operations Administration and Urban Forestry Administration DDOT  will be adding a "Right Turn on Green Arrow Only" signage to the signal pole on the southeast corner of the intersection.  As for the tree, we are pleased to report that an arborist from DDOT's Urban Forestry Administration (UFA) has arranged for this tree to be pruned.  We apologize that that this tree has not been pruned as quickly as you might like. Usually routine tree services take 1-6 months to complete. Sometimes emergency situations caused by unexpected acts of nature such as lightning storms and heavy snowfalls can divert UFA's resources and delay routine tree work. UFA is responsible for coordinating the pruning, removal, and planting of trees across the District. However, even though their moderately-staffed team shoulders an excessive amount of work, UFA still manages to outperform their counterparts in other large cities across the country.

      For further questions regarding these matters, please contact DDOT at 202-673-6813.

      d. Clearinghouse
      JL

      ###

      Please visit Grade.DC.Gov to give us your feedback and help improve DDOT's customer service.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic