16718Re: [MPD-5D] Public drunkenness, open alcohol containers, alley used a bathroom along Lincoln Road

  • Erie Meyer
    Aug 25, 2013
      Commander Beach,

      I appreciate how responsive and helpful you and your team are on this list.

      Since it seems that these people have no home and nowhere to go at these hours, are there programs/places they can go for support and help? And ways for us to pitch in?

      I know everyone understands that moving their crates/seats doesn't address issues of poverty -- are there ways we can help (or a place to donate) so these men have a place to belong?

      Just like we expect these folks to be respectful of the neighborhood, it would be great if those of us with more could direct our energy to also respect the very real barriers they may have, and work to break them down.

      Thanks,
      Erie

      On Aug 25, 2013, at 6:17 AM, "Beach, Mark (MPD)" <mark.beach@...> wrote:

      Elizabeth, All; 5D Units assigned to address these quality of life issues have determined so far that the majority of the folks involved in these behaviors are clients of the shelter which are moved out at 7:00 AM.  Our Day Watch Units have begun removing "milk type" crates and old chairs they were using as seats.  We are coordinating with DPW to respond with us to remove debris, junk, trash and to clean up the corresponding alleyways.

      Please keep us posted on areas that need our attention and your continued observations in this area of concern.

      Residents of the Lincoln Road area are asked to partner with us and assist in cleaning/picking debris and trash on public space.  We all have a vested interest in a positive outcome.

      Mark Beach
      Assistant Patrol District Commander
      Metropolitan DC Police Department
      Fifth Police District
      1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
      Washington, DC 20002
      202-345-1313 BeachBerry
      202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
      202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
      202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
      202-727-9099 Command Information Center
      "Commitment to Excellence"

      March with the DC delegation and join the pre-March rally for DC rights at the August 24th 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington. Check out marchondc50.dc.gov for full event details.