      Thanks!

      Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life, as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

             Booker T. Washington

      On Jul 27, 2013, at 9:38 PM, "Griffin, Randy (MPD)" <randy.griffin@...> wrote:

      Your safety is severely compromised by vehicular traffic if you decide to walk in the middle of the street.  The safety tips were suggestions for safeguarding your personal, emotional and financial well being.

      From: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Eric Mill
      Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:09 PM
      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] robbery prevention tips

      Not to be picky, but how is not carrying large sums of cash a robbery prevention tip?

      If I'm walking alone late at night, I often walk in the middle of the street, rather than the sidewalk. I'm curious whether this instinct is rational or not.

      -- Eric

      On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Griffin , Randy (MPD) <randy.griffin@...> wrote:

      The inebriation of a robbery victim can be a contributing factor to the robbery.  Intoxication typically dulls the senses and slows an individual’s reflexes.  Thus, a person who displays the physical signs of inebriation delivers the message that they are not capable of protecting themselves and consequently can increase their exposure to being victimized.  Thieves will typically take advantage of persons that appear to be unaware of their surroundings.  The basic rules of prevention are to be alert and sensible.  Inebriation can compromise both a person’s alertness and their sensibility.  In addition, please consider the following:

      1.                   Avoid displaying or being distracted by your electronic devices (I-pad, I-phone, etc.).  These devices are hot targets for robbers.

      2.                   Always be aware of your surroundings.

      3.                   Do not walk alone during late hours.  There is always strength in numbers.

      4.                   Avoid walking in alleys, vacant lots, and short-cuts in secluded areas.

      5.                   Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible.  Walk close to the curb, avoiding doorways, bushes and potential hiding places.

      6.                   Do not burden yourself with too many packages or items as you walk.

      7.                   Avoid carrying large sums of cash.

      8.                   Trust your instincts.  If something or someone makes you uneasy, seek a safer location.

      9.                   Know the neighborhoods where you travel.

      The list is not all-inclusive, however, the suggested basic preventive measures decreases the chances of you becoming a victim.  Please pass this on to your friends and neighbors.  Awareness is essential and empowering.

      Lieutenant Randy Griffin

      Metropolitan Police Department

      Fifth District

      DCPS starts up again on August 26th! Enroll your student today by submitting completed forms to your child's school.

      Need an enrollment form? Visit dcps.dc.gov/enrollHave questions? E-mail enroll@...