      From: "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...>
      To: "mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com" <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:59 PM
      Subject: [MPD-5D] Chief Lanier's comment on Marijuana Decriminalization Bill

      Today, proposed legislation to decriminalize possession of an ounce or less of marijuana was introduced in Council. This is a significant issue that merits robust discussion on a broad spectrum of issues, including concerns about the risk to children with increased access, the health impact of increasingly potent plants, and conflict with federal laws. In the meantime, it is important for the community to recognize that some of the information being used as an argument for decriminalization is flawed. As I believe our community members know, MPD has not prioritized marijuana arrests. Since day one, my priority has been combatting violent crime, and the District is safer as a result. Marijuana users are simply not being targeted in the manner suggested by a recent report from the ACLU and by many advocates for decriminalization.  To learn more about the flaws in the ACLU report, please read my letter to the editor that was recently published in The Washington Post:

      With the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program, Kids and Teens Eat For Free at schools, parks, and community organizations all summer long!
      Call 311, text 202-656-5EAT, or visit http://onecityyouth.dc.gov/ to find a site near you.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic