      From: arodeojock@...
      To: MPD-1D@yahoogroups.com; MPD-1D@yahoogroups.com; MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: diane.groomes@...; adrian.fenty@...; amfenty@...
      Sent: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 9:08 AM
      Subject: [MPD-5D] Dispatchers

      Commander Groomes,

      I am becoming more and more concerned with the dispatchers that are the front
      line when making calls to 311 and 911. I didn't realize until the Ward 5 CAC
      meeting recently that they are NOT MPD Officers. They are consistently rude and
      unhelpful (as documented on the several listservs I subscribe to and my own
      experience). They consistently give incorrect information or lie intentionally
      (again, documented). The result is frustrated and annoyed citizens that believe
      that the police do not want to assist them.

      I'd like to suggest to you, the Chief, and the Mayor that one of two things
      happen:

      Option 1: Have these dispatchers make a point of letting EVERY caller know that
      they are NOT MPD Officers. The dispatchers should be instructed to NEVER make
      judgment calls, give their opinions on possible MPD actions, or tell a caller
      that they cannot help him/her.

      Option 2: Staff the dispatch center with MPD Officers.

      I know that it's tough to do this with the lack of resources we have at this
      point in time. But I believe that it is one of the most important issues to
      address for the MPD. It is one of the most frustrating experiences as a citizen
      to call 311/911 and have a rude individual give me wrong information and tell me
      that nothing is going to happen. It looks bad for 311/911 and it looks even
      worse for MPD as most people I know think that the dispatchers ARE in fact MPD
      officers.

      Patrick Nelson
      1900 Block of H Street NE

      +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

      BLOG: http://arodeojock.blogspot.com/
      Yahoo: aRodeoJock
      KICKBALL: http://-teamflameon-.blogspot.com/

      "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of
      fighting a foreign enemy."
      -James Madison

      "Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism"
      -Howard Zinn, Historian

      "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance
      of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.
      But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason."
      -Thomas Paine

      From: "Groomes, Diane (MPD)" <diane.groomes@...>
      > POLICE go to calls for service -- a dispatcher cannot make that decision
      >
      > Mr. Kailian I suggest you meet with your PSA 101 team to resolve issues you
      have
      > put on the listserv
      >
      > DCRA is the agency that DOES BUSINESS LICENSING IN THE CITY and it would be
      good
      > to hear confirmation from them that this business should be closed -- we have
      > not been officially notified by that agency on
      > this closure

      Policing for Prevention
      Yahoo! Groups Links