15336Re: [MPD-5D] Re: FW: 12/29/12 Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW

    Mar 23, 2013
      We are all saddened by this loss.

      I see that DDOT Director Bellamy is having his agency review the Florida Avenue area, and this intersection and crossing in particular, for any possible improvements.

      We will begin a more aggressive enforcement campaign here immediately.

      Andy Solberg
      Commander, 5D

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 22, 2013, at 11:50 PM, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:

      With the death of a pedestrian this week on Florida Ave, I'll just repost what I wrote less than four months ago about the problems of drivers failing to yield to pedestrians on Florida Ave...

      I am constantly witnessing vehicles running red lights and stop signs, or failing to yield for pedestrians in crosswalks. It gets really tiresome having drivers nearly hit me on a weekly basis because they ignore traffic signals or well marked crosswalks. Try crossing Florida at one of the crosswalks west of North Capitol - there are big yellow signs telling drivers they must stop for pedestrians and warning them of fines for failing to do so, but I have rarely had a driver actually stop for me when I'm trying to cross.

      So, I'll ask a related question: Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst red light running violations and failures to yield to pedestrians and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting problem drivers?

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:

      > On the flip side, I am constantly witnessing vehicles running red lights and stop signs, or failing to yield for pedestrians in crosswalks. It gets really tiresome having drivers nearly hit me on a weekly basis because they ignore traffic signals or well marked crosswalks. Try crossing Florida at one of the crosswalks west of North Capitol - there are big yellow signs telling drivers they must stop for pedestrians and warning them of fines for failing to do so, but I have rarely had a driver actually stop for me when I'm trying to cross.
      >
      > So, I'll ask a related question: Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst red light running violations and failures to yield to pedestrians and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting problem drivers?
      >

      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Kris Hammond <kristofor1787@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC pedestrian was jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone driving did not see her.  She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.
      > >
      > > I am tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by many DC pedestrians.  I generally drive only on weekends and evenings, but I have had pedestrians illegally walk in front of my car dozens of times in 2012.  If I had not slowed or stopped my vehicle during these occasions, I would have hit most of these pedestrians.  Honking at these individuals generally has little effect.  Who would have gotten the third degree if I struck a pedestrian because I momentarily took my eyes of the road?
      > >

      > > Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst jaywalking violations and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting pedestrians?
      > >
      > > Kris Hammond
      > >

      > > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)
      > > >
      > > > December 29, 2012
      > > >

      > > >  Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW
      > > >
      > > > (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating a vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run traffic fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.

> [...]

      www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic