15332Re: [MPD-5D] Re: FW: 12/29/12 Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW

  • Wendy Lewis
    Mar 23, 2013
      I have always had fear that an incident would happen in front the church, especially on Sunday , it's so very busy.

      It just reminds me that the person driving the SUV that hit and killed the two babies in that area were never caught.

      And the car that jumped the curb, running from the police and killed the baby(s) on the side walk a little further up the street.

      Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

      On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:13 PM, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:

      With the death of a pedestrian this week on Florida Ave, I'll just repost what I wrote less than four months ago about the problems of drivers failing to yield to pedestrians on Florida Ave...

      I am constantly witnessing vehicles running red lights and stop signs, or failing to yield for pedestrians in crosswalks. It gets really tiresome having drivers nearly hit me on a weekly basis because they ignore traffic signals or well marked crosswalks. Try crossing Florida at one of the crosswalks west of North Capitol - there are big yellow signs telling drivers they must stop for pedestrians and warning them of fines for failing to do so, but I have rarely had a driver actually stop for me when I'm trying to cross.

      So, I'll ask a related question: Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst red light running violations and failures to yield to pedestrians and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting problem drivers?

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:

      > On the flip side, I am constantly witnessing vehicles running red lights and stop signs, or failing to yield for pedestrians in crosswalks. It gets really tiresome having drivers nearly hit me on a weekly basis because they ignore traffic signals or well marked crosswalks. Try crossing Florida at one of the crosswalks west of North Capitol - there are big yellow signs telling drivers they must stop for pedestrians and warning them of fines for failing to do so, but I have rarely had a driver actually stop for me when I'm trying to cross.
      >
      > So, I'll ask a related question: Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst red light running violations and failures to yield to pedestrians and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting problem drivers?
      >

      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Kris Hammond <kristofor1787@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC pedestrian was jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone driving did not see her.  She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.
      > >
      > > I am tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by many DC pedestrians.  I generally drive only on weekends and evenings, but I have had pedestrians illegally walk in front of my car dozens of times in 2012.  If I had not slowed or stopped my vehicle during these occasions, I would have hit most of these pedestrians.  Honking at these individuals generally has little effect.  Who would have gotten the third degree if I struck a pedestrian because I momentarily took my eyes of the road?
      > >

      > > Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst jaywalking violations and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting pedestrians?
      > >
      > > Kris Hammond
      > >

      > > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)
      > > >
      > > > December 29, 2012
      > > >

      > > >  Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW
      > > >
      > > > (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating a vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run traffic fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.

> [...]

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic